Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to Durango from the Front Range, and have been riding solo hoping I would meet some like minded riders. I like to mix FR and XC; I guess that's called AM these days. Is there much of an AM scene in Durango?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try Raiders Ridge in Horse Gulch.And stop by Pedal the Peaks-they will help you out!
Funny you said that. I stopped by pedal the peaks before riding Raiders today. I was told 29'ers rule Durango. They used to sell many 5" bikes, and a few 6", but now it's mostly 29. I'm no bike snob, run what you brung, just wondering if there's much of an AM scene here. I've rode most trails around town and have only seen xc riders.

Raider def has some fun spur trails. I've been climbing up to the ridge via a washed out unmarked trail just past rocky road junction, then dumping down a STEEP spur trail down to powerline, climbing skyline back up to the ridge, then running the ridge to a spur trail by the concrete slab, then back up to the ridge to a steep spur trail that spits you out at the parking lot ending in a 5' drop. Tons of fun! I'm finding plenty of lines, just no other like minded riders? If you want a riding buddy sometime PM me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree that durango is mostly XC. I'd like more drops in the under 5ft range, and more technical riding. But take what you can get I suppose. But I'd really like a more flow / drop lines. I rode Twin Buttes the other day and that place has a ton of potential. I'm hoping trails2000 doesn't run it or it won't ever be possible to have that. I heard rumors of 23 additional miles of singletrack being added. There are some fun flowy sections, just more people need to ride it.

On a second note, I haven't seen people come down it yet, but the E side of hogsback, the lookers left line on the rib, is that thing good to go?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that durango is mostly XC. I'd like more drops in the under 5ft range, and more technical riding. But take what you can get I suppose. But I'd really like a more flow / drop lines. I rode Twin Buttes the other day and that place has a ton of potential. I'm hoping trails2000 doesn't run it or it won't ever be possible to have that. I heard rumors of 23 additional miles of singletrack being added. There are some fun flowy sections, just more people need to ride it.

On a second note, I haven't seen people come down it yet, but the E side of hogsback, the lookers left line on the rib, is that thing good to go?
I'll have to check out Twin Buttes. I've rode both branches of Hogs back. Both pretty fun, just real short for how much effort is required to get up the west side. I've been linking Sailing Hawks and the Hog Back lately.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Guys...what about this trail called "Tower Trail"?

I saw some footage on Youtube and it looked really cool.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys...what about this trail called "Tower Trail"?

I saw some footage on Youtube and it looked really cool.
That one's also known as the "winter trail." We had many trails like Tower on the Front Range built by DH'ers for training during the winter. I love stuff like this shuttling the DH bike, but much prefer pedal to play trails on a 6" bike.

Here's a great vid of Chris Heath wringing the winter trail out: Chris Heath Riding the Winter Trail Video - Pinkbike.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
I remember some fun lines down the longer loop up junction creek, cant remember the name of the trails now, but there were some plenty big gaps and drops that I wouldnt touch.

go to Sorata, Bolivia, hit up Durango-native Travis Gray at Andean Epics, amazing, amazing riding:
http://www.andeanepics.com/?lang=en

or silverton.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was looking online and it appears the "Rib Cage" at Phils World near Cortez has some flowy freeridey type stuff. Some timed drops, jumps...things like that.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking online and it appears the "Rib Cage" at Phils World near Cortez has some flowy freeridey type stuff. Some timed drops, jumps...things like that.
I'll have to check that one out. Last time I rode Phill's I felt WAY over biked. If I owned a short travel, or hard tail I would really enjoy that place, but a nomad with a 180 is WAY overkill.

That said, even beginner friendly trail systems often have stashed lines. For those that go down to Alien Run in the winter, there's a nice sized drop that flows well with the trail. I'm guessing it's around 8' to perfect natural transition.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone explored the Vallecito area? I was 4wheeling and came across some pretty awesome trails. It may be hush hush, but message me if you have. I'd like to know about it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'll have to check that one out. Last time I rode Phill's I felt WAY over biked. If I owned a short travel, or hard tail I would really enjoy that place, but a nomad with a 180 is WAY overkill.

That said, even beginner friendly trail systems often have stashed lines. For those that go down to Alien Run in the winter, there's a nice sized drop that flows well with the trail. I'm guessing it's around 8' to perfect natural transition.
That drop looks sick! Thats the stuff I am looking for as well. Is there more of that at Aztec?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts