Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Durango Climb Climb Climb

I am not really qualified to comment on SS questions but I have done/attempted the D100 twice. My 2 cents are that if you are truly a climber you would like Durango with or with out a SS. There are a few 'push fast in the middle ring/power' climb/descent sections, but not that much to my recollection. Overall the course has little "power spin in the middle ring" terrain, mostly climb followed by more climb then hard core climb and then some really fun descent then repeat - so maybe like you said, a good SS profile?

· Occasionally engaged…
1,785 Posts
trail717 said:
Overall the course has little "power spin in the middle ring" terrain, mostly climb followed by more climb then hard core climb and then some really fun descent then repeat - so maybe like you said, a good SS profile?
I did the race two years ago on a geared bike, but have since spent more than a bit of time on a single speed and consequently think about how I would fair on the SS on various courses I have done. That being said, I think I'd rather take a SS to Leadville or Park City than to Durango. I remember eating up a lot of downhill miles at Durango on good quality gravel roads spinning in the big ring -- say at 20 mph or so. The up wouldn't be the problem (well, at least any more so than normal), but rather there is a lot of down that can be taken faster when 80 or 90 gear inches are available. In contrast, last year at Park City I spent very little time in big gears, as it was never very wide-open like a lot of the downhills are at Durango -- so a SS wouldn't have the same liability at PC. Similarly, spinning along the flats at Leadville at 15 or 16 MPH (comfortable for the gearing I would use on a SS there) wouldn't be much of a penalty, and the downhills are steep and curvy enough to not require much pedaling to obtain maximum speed.

YMMV

· Registered
84 Posts
Go for it!

It's a good race for a SS, as good as any other 100 miler. As mentioned, there are a few sections you'll be spun out, but I did not think it was to bad. Plus, it's likely rain, and while everyone else has drive terrain problems, you'll be cruising along just fine!
Fred

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ridemore24 said:
It's a good race for a SS, as good as any other 100 miler. As mentioned, there are a few sections you'll be spun out, but I did not think it was to bad. Plus, it's likely rain, and while everyone else has drive terrain problems, you'll be cruising along just fine!
Fred
I hear ya about the rain. I DNF'ed (on a geared bike) the Brian Head 100 a couple of years back after about 60 miles. Thunderstorm turned the trail into muck. I ended up throwing my bike into a creek to get enough mud off of it so it could be pushed. If I do Durango, I am likely to do either the 100K or 50K. I like the idea of being done by the time the afternoon thunderstorms roll in (one speed or not).

Am I right that most of the technical stuff is on the ski resort (i.e. beginning and end of each lap)? Any thoughts on gear ratios?

· Registered
84 Posts
Go for the 100 K of 100 miles. Might as well...

Yeah, the old XC race course (NORBA or WC??) at the ski area is some of the more interesting riding, but not really that technical. The first lap has a section of the CT that is fantastic, last year that was nice and greasy with mud. I ran a 34x20 on a 29er and thought that was a good gear for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.