Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on the strongest 8 speed cassettes and chains. I am aware that these are normal wear items, but it is getting tiresome to have to replace chains every 10-15 rides due to chain stretch and cassettes every 6-8 weeks due to sheered pins, and bet cogs.

Not sure if these failures are related to my size, 6'3" 300# and far more of a masher than a spinner, or quality of part or both. I am not attempting shifts under load .

Yes I realize the world has moved on to 9 speed, and if I need to move on in order to get longer service lives out of components so be it, but I am hoping to get away with a minimal number of new components.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Go 9 speed there is a much bigger section. Also you will get much better components if you go 9 speed.
Here is what i have and i have never had any problems with them (yet) but i do not think i will. I am 6,0 and 250 lbs

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Or just stay with the 8 speed i will cost quit a bit to convert you will need a new rear derailleur, shifter, cassette and chain.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
big-n-slow said:
I am looking for opinions on the strongest 8 speed cassettes and chains. I am aware that these are normal wear items, but it is getting tiresome to have to replace chains every 10-15 rides due to chain stretch and cassettes every 6-8 weeks due to sheered pins, and bet cogs.

Not sure if these failures are related to my size, 6'3" 300# and far more of a masher than a spinner, or quality of part or both. I am not attempting shifts under load .

Yes I realize the world has moved on to 9 speed, and if I need to move on in order to get longer service lives out of components so be it, but I am hoping to get away with a minimal number of new components.
Learn to spin...your stuff will last much longer...seriously!!!!

If you 300# and you mash, your going to wear sh!t out quick...its reality. You'd be better off running a singlespeed. Gears exist so you don't have to mash.

That said, there are few and far between on quality 8 speed parts. Shimano HG91 or SRAM PC890 chains are the best 8 speed chains available. Shimano HG70 or SRAM PG850 are it for cassettes unless you want to e-bay it for XT cassettes.
:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.