Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on the strongest 8 speed cassettes and chains. I am aware that these are normal wear items, but it is getting tiresome to have to replace chains every 10-15 rides due to chain stretch and cassettes every 6-8 weeks due to sheered pins, and bet cogs.

Yes I realize the world has moved on to 9 speed, and if I need to move on in order to get longer service lives out of components so be it, but I am hoping to get away with minimal number new components.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
big-n-slow said:
I am looking for opinions on the strongest 8 speed cassettes and chains. I am aware that these are normal wear items, but it is getting tiresome to have to replace chains every 10-15 rides due to chain stretch and cassettes every 6-8 weeks due to sheered pins, and bet cogs.

Yes I realize the world has moved on to 9 speed, and if I need to move on in order to get longer service lives out of components so be it, but I am hoping to get away with minimal number new components.
you really need to lube your chain.
or there's something else going on.
Chains don't actually "stretch"

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Chains do not stretch, they wear, causing slop in the links allowing the chain to elongate. Dirty/unlubed chains wear fast...clean lubed ones do not. Chain breakage on ANY sort of regular basis is due to mis-use. Bending cogs is from the same mis-use that causes the failed chains.

Of the parts you are having problems with, there is no difference in durability or quality between available 8 and 9 speed (shifters are a different story).

Clean and take care of your drivetrain components, and stop forcing shifts under load and you will find that parts last a LOT longer.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
big-n-slow said:
You go through a chain that quickly:eekster:
There's no way that should happen time after time if you are taking care of your kit. Clean and lube after every ride should be a must for you. Don't shift under load, don't cross chain.

Maybe you need a singlespeed. It will help to keep the costs down, but will also help in the long term and teach you smoothness so you keep momentum and don't have to suddenly shift at time when you also have to power down.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
big-n-slow said:
..... I am aware that these are normal wear items, but it is getting tiresome to have to replace chains every 10-15 rides due to chain stretch and cassettes every 6-8 weeks due to sheered pins, and bet [bent?] cogs.....
It's not the chain, it's you.

Unless your rides are unusually long and arduous, or you're well above average in weight, you seem to be getting amazingly poor performance out of your drivetrain. Better stuff might help, but the wear rate difference among chains and cassettes isn't that much.

Before trying to upgrade components, I'd try to analyze the cause for your problems. It could be as simple as your choice of chain lube, chain care practices, failure to adequately tighten cassette lock rings or, more likely, might be a question of riding style and shifting habits.

I'm more of a road cyclist so I can't give you exact mtb mileage guidelines, but I assure you that you should be able to do much better than you are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all for the advice and insight. I have been running pg830 chains, and not sure of the cassette models, but they were cheap, non carrier models. As far as wear vs stretch, thanks for the education, I had previously, and erroneously heard chains referred to stretched rather than worn, i will correct my vernacular.

as to cause of the issues, i am not forcing shifts, cross ringing, or shifting under load, But I do weigh 300 lbs, and am far more of masher than a spinner, i realize these are major factors in the premature failure of the components. I thought my routine of lubing ever other ride, brushing the chain after ever other ride, and pulling, degreasing and throughly washing the chain after every 3rd or 4th ride. was adequate, but given t he feedback i have received here as well as other places, this is a little lax.

again thanks to everyone for the information and education

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
big-n-slow said:
I thought my routine of lubing ever other ride, brushing the chain after ever other ride, and pulling, degreasing and throughly washing the chain after every 3rd or 4th ride. was adequate, but given t he feedback i have received here as well as other places, this is a little lax.
Lax????? it sounds a bit obsessive to me There's no way that you should need to do this unless you're riding in the Gobi desert during a sandstorm.

When it comes to cleaning and lubing, it isn't a question of frequency, but of methodology and the quality and appropriateness of the lubricant used.

Take your car for instance, you probably change your oil every three thousand miles or so. Do you imagine than changing it more often than that would improve engine life? OTOH, if you filled the crankcase with 3-in-1 oil, do you think that changing the oil daily would improve engine life.

Use a decent chain lube, and clean the chain only when it actually needs it and you should get reasonable life out of your chain. Given your weight, it probably won't be what someone half your weight would get, and that's something you'll have to live with.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
highdelll said:
hmmm...
What lube would you use FB???:idea: :ihih: :D
Obviously I have a bias, and think mine is the best. If I didn't think so, I'd reformulate it.

But there are a number of other decent lubes out there, some better than others. The problem is that so many of the chain lube makers have gotten so distracted by the idea of cleaning chains, that most of what's sold as chain lube, is really chain cleaner with a bit of lube thrown in.

You shouldn't listen to people about chain lube, you should listen to your chain. Well lubricated chains sound that way, either purring or silent. Poorly lubed ones cry out and complain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts