Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 21 stumpjumper Evo that came with the Butcher T9 front and eliminator T7/T9 rear. I have really liked this combo as far as traction (especially front) goes, but I can only get 3 months out of a set before side knobs start ripping off both front and rear tires. The knobs riping off either results in a big hole and flat, or they pull off exposing the tire casing. Either way, the tires are done.

These are not cheap at $170ish for a set that have to be replaced 3-4 times a year. On my prior bike I was not riding as much, but it sure seemed I was getting a lot more milage with a DHR/DHF combo.

Because these tires have worked so well on the Evo I've been reluctant to try something different, especially on the front.

Does anyone have have input on the butcher/eliminator tires with the harder T7 compound? How do they work compared to the softer compound? Are the knobs tougher? Do you give up a bunch of grip?

If I switched manufactures, what is a front tire that has similar grip to the T9 butcher, but will wear better?

Most of my riding is loose over hard, or rocky terrain with steep climbs and steep/fast downs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've had great durability out of Maxxis tires, and have been using mostly DHFs and DHR IIs for years and years. Recently I put a DHR II on the front of my hardtail and I was surprised to find that I like it better than a DHF up front. I moved the DHF I had to the back, and it's working well there. That tire is a dual compound, and while it is a harder rubber, it lasts forEVER. Up front I prefer the MaxTerra compound, which doesn't last quite as long as Dual Compound but isn't bad and has more grip.

I've found that for loose over hard, dry conditions, nothing outlasts these Maxxis tires. The cornering lugs eventually get dull and rounded off rather than tearing off like so many other brands -- so they still give you something even when worn. Also, this is just my opinion, but rear tires don't need to be near as soft and grippy as the front. Running a harder compound there will aid in longevity and reduce rolling resistance. People that are burning through rear tires and sliding out on the rear are likely using way too much rear brake and not enough front.

So, I'd recommend DHR IIs front and rear. MaxTerra up front, and Dual Comp in the rear. I've been curious to try an Assegai up front, but we get mud on occasion, and they don't clear as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like the Dissector up front. Mine is the MaxxTerra 2.4WT and it's barely showing any wear after a couple months, although my rides are mostly shorter. Seems to have great traction. It's been very dry here though. I also have a Rekon in the back, I don't like that as much but it also doesn't seem like it's going to last long, so I'm going to wear it out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey OP, is your price for the tires in USD? Just wondering because I picked up a t7 eliminator/ t9 butcher combo recently direct from specialized for $60 a tire. About five rides in on the new T9 compound upfront and really enjoying it. I’ve heard the T7 is the same as the outgoing Gription compound that I’ve been riding front and rear for years with no reliability issues and confident grip with the butcher up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Take a look at Kenda tires. Their Pinner Pro is quite similar to the Butcher and their Hellkat Pro is similar to the Eliminator. I run the Pinner in front with the Hellkat in the rear, and they get great traction. I’m using the ATC (trail) casing and so far the wear is great, I ride 3 times per week in lots of rock gardens, loose, loose over hard and the tires still look new after 2 months. I’ve also ridden areas where I’d end up with multiple thorns stuck into my previous Butcher/Purgatory combo, while so far not a single puncture in my Pinner/Hellkat. They also have a tougher casing for gravity (AGC) if you want an even tougher tire.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes this is the US. I got the tires from the LBS. They were grid gravity and grid trail casings so I'm not sure if that increased the price.

I went with a basic compound exo 29x2.5 assagai up front and a max grip DD 29x 2.4 dissector out back. Not a ton of choices locally and I needed tires so we'll see how these workout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.