Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I'm a very lucky guy that gets to choose a FREE new Gary Fisher bike. I'm a devoted 29er rider so I'm contemplating a 292 or a hardtail. I've seen first hand that sugars and 29er sugars have had some durability issues, but I know that GF has been working to correct them. Does anyone care to comment on their experiences with the durability of recent ('05 or '06) 292/293 models and hardtails? Any input is much appreciated.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Can you wait?

DancingBear said:
Howdy all. I'm a very lucky guy that gets to choose a FREE new Gary Fisher bike. I'm a devoted 29er rider so I'm contemplating a 292 or a hardtail. I've seen first hand that sugars and 29er sugars have had some durability issues, but I know that GF has been working to correct them. Does anyone care to comment on their experiences with the durability of recent ('05 or '06) 292/293 models and hardtails? Any input is much appreciated.
I'm not sure how you lucked into getting a free Fisher but, if it's an offer you can collect in a few months, I'd wait for the new 29r FS bike to come out. Supposed to be called the Supercaliber 29r, it promises to be an improvement over the 292 and 293s. I never believe rumors about delivery dates on new bikes much but, the last I heard it may be out in the spring or maybe in summer as an early release 2007 model.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So far, so good.

I've had my '05 293 for three months and have been averaging three rides a week. The frame is a large and I'm about 6'2" and right about 200 lbs. I ride some fairly rocky stuff like trail 100 here in Phoenix and I have ridden the bike in Sedona and Flagstaff so far.

I'm fairly easy on my equiptment. I don't go out of my way looking for jumps and drops but if one presents its self I'll do it.

I've seen others on this board post about problem with their Sugars but I personally haven't had any problems. So far I haven't seen any other 293 or 292 riders on the trail. I guess that it is still some what of a unique machine and I love it.

Steve

·
Only dead people are old
699 Posts
DancingBear said:
Perfect - out of eight that I know of around here...some riden easy, other have been ridden to hell and back with no problems. Fisher is good about warranty if the fault is theirs and not yours (crashes are your problem as it would be with any bike manufacturer).

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
For '06 Fisher did address some of the durability problems of the '05 and previous years' bikes. Namely the shock mount on the top tube, which is now double pass welded, (ala Kleins.) The whole mount is seriously bigger, shouldn't be an issue any more. They also added some zip tie mounts further up on the top tube, making the cables tighter in by the frame. This isn't a big deal, but cleans up the routing a bit more. The welds are also larger and neater than some I've seen. It's hard to tell whether they've changed the seat stays much, but my rep says that some issues where addressed there as well. Should make for a better frame all around. That being said, I'm sure some of you out there will inevitably break a few, it happens.

Like I tell people, "If you back over the bike with your car, it's not the bike's fault."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.