Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
for three!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick, dumb question here. I'm looking to get a dura-ace 12-27 cassette for my stumpjumper HT, along with a 10 speed chain, and i was wondering if that would work and everything would run smoothly, since the cassette has 10 cogs? Would that mess up my derailleur, shifters, or crank? So i would effectively have a 30 speed? Thanks dudes

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
ouch!

karlmalone1 said:
Just a quick, dumb question here. I'm looking to get a dura-ace 12-27 cassette for my stumpjumper HT, along with a 10 speed chain, and i was wondering if that would work and everything would run smoothly, since the cassette has 10 cogs? Would that mess up my derailleur, shifters, or crank? So i would effectively have a 30 speed? Thanks dudes
so by just replacing the cassette and chain you hope to get 10 gears out of your current 9s setup?

ahem, then you missed the point since you will definitely need a 10s SHIFTER as well. so far only Campa has 10s shifters for straight bars.all other 10s are for drop bars you have on roadies. but you sure could go with a friction-thumbshifter if you really need those 10 gears.
just don't plan to do any mud rides since the 10s cassette will most likely clog up.

the cassette and chain will do good on a 9s setup but won't offer 10s! instead you won't have any gear at all if you pair it with your 9s shifter! why not just get a 12-27 9s cassette?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
nino said:
ahem, then you missed the point since you will definitely need a 10s SHIFTER as well. so far only Campa has 10s shifters for straight bars.all other 10s are for drop bars you have on roadies. but you sure could go with a friction-thumbshifter if you really need those 10 gears.
just don't plan to do any mud rides since the 10s cassette will most likely clog up.

wrong nino!
Sram has 10-speed flat bar shifters, has the same pull rate as rival/force/red derailiers, and QBP has 24 in stock as of 12:33 am thursday midwestern time zone.

ive been think about doing 1x10 with them and a red derailier/cassette, but cant get rid of my XO kit or justify the money just to experiment.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Shimano also has a 10speed flatbar shifter now, I use a Paul Thumbie w/ D/A on my CX bike

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Why 10 speed?

Aren't the steps between gears not small enough on 9 speed road cassettes?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
perttime said:
Why 10 speed?

campy has a 11speed 11-23 cassette now. that means every shift(but one) is only one tooth change.

but i do agree kinda. i actually ride SS most the time. but i wouldn't make my 1x9 an 8 speed again.

i remember reading a year ago or so about an elite guy racing on a 1x10 bike. dont know his setup.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
perttime said:
Why 10 speed?

well - the big benefit of road cassette spacing is the smaller steps between gears. it allows you to keep your cadence and this is really helpful on steady climbs. your heartrate and your speed remain more constant. if 10s fits your needs on y MTB is up to you and your needs. if you have constant up and down or very twisted singletrack you might not like it because there would be too much shifting involved, but if you have more of steady climbs then this might be just better than 9s.

with roadbikes having 10 gears now you would have a hard time to go back to 9 or 8 or 7 speed again. the small gear steps are just what your legs and lungs like!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
nino said:
if you have constant up and down or very twisted singletrack you might not like it because there would be too much shifting involved, but if you have more of steady climbs then this might be just better than 9s.
Ah, you may have a point there.

Constant up and down and twisty singletrack is all I ever ride and all I know about.

·
for three!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha told you guys it was a dumb question....9s 12-27 here i come (mind was going blank last night, thought they only made a 10s 12-27)

·
Person
775 Posts
nino said:
BUT then i would suggest you go with one of those nice FULL-TITANIUM 10s cassettes!
Ahhh, the spam never stops around here. ;) Maybe it's time for Nino to buy a banner ad on this forum, how many times has he promoted his cassettes in here recently?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
c'mon !

Baulz said:
Ahhh, the spam never stops around here. ;) Maybe it's time for Nino to buy a banner ad on this forum, how many times has he promoted his cassettes in here recently?
absolutely no spam at all ! i just give answers and show how it could be done as it seemed to me it was the initial question of the poster to get a lightweight 10s setup on a MTB until he cleared things up above.not a single word with where to get or how much or whatever.

·
Person
775 Posts
nino said:
absolutely no spam at all ! i just give answers and show how it could be done as it seemed to me it was the initial question of the poster to get a lightweight 10s setup on a MTB until he cleared things up above.not a single word with where to get or how much or whatever.
The thread title is "Dura-ace cassette?" not "Nino's cassette?"

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nino, just imagine how light this set up would be, SRAM Carbon TT bar-end shifter with al bolt on Paul Thmbie, tuned RED der, and a full Ti cassette.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
The small steps on the DA 11/27 9sp that i run are often an issue in my mind. I still run it, but I do find myself doing double shifts a lot, as the step is too small to make enough difference when I shift.

On the roadie, the small distance between shifts on the 10sp made a huge positive improvement in shifting, when I switched from 9sp. Much more than I ever thought I'd notice or appreciate.

OTOH, 10sp chains are fragile and expensive. If you ride your bike a lot, this will be a huge issue for most.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
wow-i'm impressed...

Baulz said:
The thread title is "Dura-ace cassette?" not "Nino's cassette?"
wow-you can read?

so why didn't you answer ANY of his demands? why not a single tip or option or advice instead of ranting around? no one mentioned the make or origin of the cassette so far. it's you pointing in that direction and this is definitely not "dura ace cassette" at all.
so please stop it and get back on track as all others do with helpful tips and info - thanks!

at the mods:
i don't understand why my post got removed?? it contained good info for guys looking for a 10s setup and that seemed to be the posters initial question.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
scooter916 said:
Nino, just imagine how light this set up would be, SRAM Carbon TT bar-end shifter with al bolt on Paul Thmbie, tuned RED der, and a full Ti cassette.
light yes but thumbshifters are definitely a thing of the past for me. not what i would like on my bike.

·
wannabe corporate shill
365 Posts
I run a 12-27 ultegra 9 sp cassette now. I'd like to go with a dura ace 9sp 12-27 when it comes time to replace the ultegra. Any issues with dura ace longevity, or is it just as reliable/durable as the ultegra?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts