Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still fairly new to the area and I rode Dupont's eastern slickrock area last weekend for the first time. Wow that was great. I parked at corn mills shoals and road on big rock, cedar rock, little river, pine tree, longsides and burnt mtn. Those trails were great. Even after the past rains all the trails were bone dry. The trails I've ridden in Pisgah are like soup after any rain. Also the lenght of the climbs and downhills were kind of short. This is nice because you don't have to do an hour plus of climbing before you can enjoy a downhill rush.

I understand that this is the most popular area in Dupont because of the slickrock. What are the other areas like? What other trails or areas in Dupont would you recomend I hit next? Also, how does Dupont compare to the trails at Bent Creek? I've never ridden at Bent Creek and It's so close to home that I should probably check it out.
 

·
Official Cooler Inspector
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
Bent Creek used to have a great “flow pattern”, but this past year has seen quite a bit of changes in the trail system. I live here, learned to ride here and hence, have had some personal difficulties adjusting to the loss. Regardles, it is still a nice place to ride and/or workout, but (IMHO) not as interesting as DuPont and other regional areas for day tripping.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
Couple other trails to check out in Dupont, totally based on opinion:
(Also, I don't have a map here at work, so somebody PLEASE correct me if I get the names wrong, I'll try to put in a brief description to put it in context.)

Ridgeline is a very fun Downhill. It is over near the "Shooting Range" trail area, and comes down toward Lake Imaging. The lake is a nice spot to rest and have a snack.

Laurel Trail is fun and flowey. It is over near the Slickrock side, and it descends from the airstrip. It is a fun trail and can be enjoyed by various skilled riders.

Bridal Veil Falls. Classic, yet somewhat cliche. Everyone should see it in person though.

I forgot the name, but the trail that you'd take to the left, just before the left up to the slickrock (if your coming from Corn Shulls Mills Lot). I remember a lot of fun switchbacks, and some nice stuff heading out that trail. Just some nice, good singletrack...

In general, do some exploring. There is a lot of everything there, and while the trails are not anything like Pisgah (my personal preference), they are very fun to explore...

Have fun...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,340 Posts
Bent Creek can still flow...

You can do about 2 1/2- 3 hours of fast paced, fun riding without doubling back or doing extended fireroad unless you count North Boundary as a fireroad. The trails down by the lake (Pinetree, Deerfield, Explorer) are all some of the best "beginner" trails around, but still very fun for the more advanced rider. It is, IMO, the best place for an after work ride.

I agree the logging sucks, but we're still blessed to have Bent Creek. Most people are living somewhere that they have to drive an hour or more to find anything like the trail network we do still have in our backyard- and then there's oh-so much more within that hour drive.

Pisgah Ranger District (other than Bent Creek), by the way, has the potential for much longer climbing and more challenging downhill. It also has more of a "in the mountains" and "wilder" feel than DuPont or Bent Creek. That is why many of us consider it the best around.

Peace, Mike
 

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Benk Creek Loging

What trails in Bent Creek are closed by the loging? I bought a map of Bent Creek last week at Liberty Cycles. Do you think that the closed trails are shown on my map? Do they have signs out on the trails to let you know where not to go?
 

·
It's not what you think.
Joined
·
477 Posts
Maida7 said:
What trails in Bent Creek are closed by the loging? I bought a map of Bent Creek last week at Liberty Cycles. Do you think that the closed trails are shown on my map? Do they have signs out on the trails to let you know where not to go?
While not trying to be a jerk, I suggest you do some looking around here and read previously posted info. Bent Creek logging / closed trails have been posted to death and I doubt the locals enjoy reposting the 411 everytime people ask... just .02 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,340 Posts
I don't mind. Try this website for lots of good info. http://www.mtbikewnc.com/

Otherwise, the map should not have any of the "social" trails on it- if it doesn't have a sign, assume you should not use it. The one exception, I think, is the paved trail immediately out of Rice Pinnacel Parking Lot and then the connector from that trail over to HardTimes Connector- no signs, but those are totally open, I'm pretty sure.

At both trailheads, there are kiosks which will list closed trails. They are referred to by the numbers and names on the map you bought. This should actually be very clear after a minimal amount of research.

Have fun, Mike
 

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike Brown:

Thanks for the tips. I hope it wasn't too much of a hassel. I'm going to check out Bent Creek this weekend. Because of the proximity to work and home it may turn into a place to go after work once or twice a week. It looks kind of small on the map. With the trail closings I hope it's big enough and fun enough to keep me interested on a regular basis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,340 Posts
Ain't nothing. I've lived here 8-plus years and even after the changes, still have a great time going to Bent Creek once-twice a week. But, then again, I always have a great time no matter what as I move through the woods with the greenery a blur around me, my thoughts nothing but in the present...if you want to do a ride to with that attitude sometime in next month, PM me. May is super busy for me (three big races, annually scheduled vacation with my dad, and buying a house), but I'll still be there at least once a week. Peace, Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
always good..

The logging/closed areas are really minimal compared to everything th is legal to ride in Bent Creek.
I have been riding these trails since `85 and very rarely do i get bored. Like M.B. said pedaling in the woods is good, no matter where.
I took a trip to the southern rockies last year and in every place we visited we made it a point to always do the " after work" trails. Durango was really excellent with the"Telegraph Hills" network right in town. The Bent Creek network rivals that. The only thing in Telegraph that made it better was the superb trail directions. At each intersection a sign post with the trail map mounted beneath a plastic cover with "you are here" marked on it. It was impossible to get lost.
We try to do 2-3 after work rides each week and would be glad to show you around..
We dont race and do not give a s#[email protected] about the "top dog"...
 

·
******
Joined
·
401 Posts
Afterwork Riddin.............

Maida7 said:
Thad:

What days and times are these group rides? Where do you meet up? Can I just show up and try to follow?
We usually hook up about 4:15 at my house and ride staight into the woods from there. Be happy to meet with you at Hard Times trail head on any given day though and show you around. gabe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
sure..

Maida7 said:
Thad:

What days and times are these group rides? Where do you meet up? Can I just show up and try to follow?
It is going to be Monday before i can ride again due to a busy wk-end,blah,blah.
If you could be at Hard Times Trail Head or the Rice pinnacle parking lot about 4:30 on Monday then Gabe & i could meet you there.
Let me know and decide which parking lot you want to be at( doesnt really matter as they are on the same road).
If you need specific directions to the parking lots let me know.
These are not really "group" rides..just a couple guys pedaling around.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
Maida7 said:
bmateo:

I hope I'm not stiring up a hornets nest but why do prefer Pisgah?
Not at all, and very good question. I should preface this with saying that I may have had the best ride of my life at DuPont, so it is nothing at all against DuPont. I love the place.

I live in RDU, so it is about a 5 hour drive to "the area". To me, Pisgah, and specifically the Mills River and Davidson River areas, has some singletrack that is very unique to me, and they happen to contain my personal favorite trails. I'm not a downhiller, but I do like the challenge of the rock gardens, some really techy moves, and I love the 6+ mile climbs followed by the long descents.

I guess the answer to your question is that I feel more "out there" in Pisgah, and I feel like I'm on more of an Epic ride.

My guess is that DuPont would be more and more fun as I learned the trails better. My biggest complaint (if even I had one at all :) ) with Dupont is that there are so many intersections. It is well marked, but I had to refer to my map often. If I knew the trails better, I'd be able to ride longer without looking at the map so often.

All in all, I like everythign up there, and my ideal weekend would be ride in Davidson, A ride in Mills, a Ride in Bent (have not been there since the logging though) and a ride in Dupont....

Sorry for all the blathering, I hope that answerd some questions. I love the mountains would have maybe been a better answer :)
 

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thadthetroll said:
It is going to be Monday before i can ride again due to a busy wk-end,blah,blah.
If you could be at Hard Times Trail Head or the Rice pinnacle parking lot about 4:30 on Monday then Gabe & i could meet you there.
Let me know and decide which parking lot you want to be at( doesnt really matter as they are on the same road).
If you need specific directions to the parking lots let me know.
These are not really "group" rides..just a couple guys pedaling around.....
Thad and Gabe:

I would love to ride with you guys on Monday. I don't get out of work until 5:00 but I could be at the trail at 5:30. I assume hard times trail is on my map. Is the parking off of Brevard Rd.? Is 5:30 OK?
 

·
******
Joined
·
401 Posts
Maida7 said:
Thad and Gabe:

I would love to ride with you guys on Monday. I don't get out of work until 5:00 but I could be at the trail at 5:30. I assume hard times trail is on my map. Is the parking off of Brevard Rd.? Is 5:30 OK?
Cool. See you at the Hard Times parking lot at about 5:30 Monday. We'll be on a couple of "Smoke Bikes" one grey and the other camo. To get there.........off of 191 (Brevard Road) coming from Hwy 26 take a right at the light on to Bent Creek Ranch rd., at the fork bear left and follow it all the way to the parking lot on the left which is marked as "Hard Times Parking".
 

·
pronounced may-duh
Joined
·
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thad and Gabe:

I real sorry but I can't make that ride at benk creek on monday. I found out today that my son has a baseball game and I've got to go to that. Once agian very sorry. I could go some other day after work. I think I'm free any day but Monday and Thursday. I hope you get this message in time so it dosn't look like I've stood you up without notice.

Sorry,

David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
ok.....well just do the same plan on some other day.

We dont have a regular schedule so one of us will just post here a day before our next ride....which will be wednesday or thursday probably...
 

·
Philosophizer
Joined
·
483 Posts
Maida7 said:
I'm still fairly new to the area and I rode Dupont's eastern slickrock area last weekend for the first time. Wow that was great. I parked at corn mills shoals and road on big rock, cedar rock, little river, pine tree, longsides and burnt mtn. Those trails were great. Even after the past rains all the trails were bone dry. The trails I've ridden in Pisgah are like soup after any rain. Also the lenght of the climbs and downhills were kind of short. This is nice because you don't have to do an hour plus of climbing before you can enjoy a downhill rush.

I understand that this is the most popular area in Dupont because of the slickrock. What are the other areas like? What other trails or areas in Dupont would you recomend I hit next? Also, how does Dupont compare to the trails at Bent Creek? I've never ridden at Bent Creek and It's so close to home that I should probably check it out.
PM me,I'll show you around if you want.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top