Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Currently in Exile
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents moved to Hendersonville, NC to retire after forcing me to grow up in flat, dull, boring, IL. Thanks Mom & Dad! We went to visit recently, I made the decision to camp near the Dupont State Forest at the Black Forest camp ground. I wanted to make sure that the trip had a good mix of actual vacation, and family visiting. I think it may have worked out. I got some rides in, we did the family hikes, and we got to spend time with family. All in all, not a bad trip at all!

And now, some pics!

This is a series I did on a step up on the Cedar Rock trail.







And a few views from the top of the rock.





Here is Frozenspokelette getting all freeride at the skills area in the kids loop.


She came in a bit hot for the teeter totter and ended up launching off the end of it. I asked her if she wanted to try it again, and she said "NO".


She loved this little bridge and rode it over and over again. The nice thing was that I was able to coach her here and give her advice and she actually listened.:thumbsup: Many kudos to the folks who built these stunts!

We did about 8 miles on this ride all together. I had been worried about how she would handle the climbs. I shouldn't have. She did great. I was really proud of her and the way she rode, and the stuff she road.



I made it down to SC for the Clemson SERC race. I had a great time, and finished 9th (out of ten) in the SS class.



My youngest wasn't very impressed with dad's racing prowess.



And we got in some family hikes to see the waterfalls and other sites in the area.


My girls at Jump off rock


The girls and I at triple falls in Dupont.

There were other rides, but the camera stayed in the camelback for most of them. I was just plain having too much fun, or too blown up (20 miles including Mine Mountain, Cedar Rock, and Big Rock trails on a SS with a 32X16:eekster: ) to take many photos.

I really enjoyed the trip, and I think that I will use this formula on my next family trip. Maybe next time I will go to Brevard and ride in Pisgah!
 

·
Midwest Rider
Joined
·
126 Posts
Looks like nice places to ride and a great time with the family.

When I see the little ones on bikes and motos, it stirs something inside me to want kids of my own. Then I think my kids might hate it, I'll just spoil others' for now.

Wonderful, thanks for sharing.
 

·
There's no app for this.
Joined
·
5,369 Posts
Nice shots of the Spokes

young and old(er).

Sound like a good trip...enjoy 'em (family) to the fullest because your little critters grow up and move away before you figure it all out.

All smiles = perfect trip.

Jim
 

·
Life is Good
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Awesome writeup! Just a couple notes:

First, North Carolina is beautiful.

Second, kudos to your daughter! Some of those park stunts are probably over my head.

Third, looks like your youngest daughter is more apt to fishing than biking :)

Finally, I noticed your wife is wearing Keen Newports. Awesome sandal choice!
 

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
I love DuPont, we rode there a week ago. Great as usual. Didn't do the slickrock trails because it was raining and my girlfriend doesn't ride a lot (only likes relatively smooth trail).

I was surprised to see the factory gone! Can't wait until that part is open to the public.





 

·
Currently in Exile
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Judd97 said:
Awesome writeup! Just a couple notes:

First, North Carolina is beautiful.

Second, kudos to your daughter! Some of those park stunts are probably over my head.

Third, looks like your youngest daughter is more apt to fishing than biking :)

Finally, I noticed your wife is wearing Keen Newports. Awesome sandal choice!
You have a Keen eye! She loved hers so much that I broke down and got the Venice for myself. I like mine a bit more airy.

I haven't had much luck getting the younger two out on bikes. I just consider myself lucky that I have one that likes to ride.
 

·
amar la vida de dos niner
Joined
·
2,682 Posts
Looks like great fun!

Your girl learned the old pedal-launch maneuver, eh? ;)

And I love the face your youngest is making in the second pic. What a ham!!

Frozenspokes said:

She came in a bit hot for the teeter totter and ended up launching off the end of it. I asked her if she wanted to try it again, and she said "NO".


My girls at Jump off rock
 

·
Currently in Exile
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scorpionwoman said:
Looks like great fun!

Your girl learned the old pedal-launch maneuver, eh? ;)

And I love the face your youngest is making in the second pic. What a ham!!
Yes, she did. Thing is, most of the time she rides out of these mistakes. I don't know how.

And yes, the youngest is quite the ham. I don't have many pictures of her where she isn't making some sort of silly face. I often try multiple takes of a picture in hopes of getting one where she looks "normal".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
How old is your girl who rides? I just got my 8 yr old son his first "real bike" (24 incher) and trail riding is still a bit of a challenge. The bike is just a bit unweildy for him yet.
 

·
Hairy man
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
Frozenspokes said:
I often try multiple takes of a picture in hopes of getting one where she looks "normal".
When my daughter sees the camera pointed at her she often runs at it with her tongue stuck out. I have a lot of blurry pictures of her forehead. Thank goodness digital "film" is free.
 

·
(not that fast)
Joined
·
954 Posts
My newly made wife and I went to pisgah (i mean asheville) for our honeymoon. that place is a blast. i bet the kids would love it too. lots of waterfalls and beautiful senery. and if you stay in asheville the girls can spend the day @ the biltmore while dad burns up the trails. (you should probably check out the mansion too, it is cool.) lots of great food and cool shops in asheville. check out liberty cycles. those people where awesome. have fun.
 

·
Currently in Exile
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
notrelatedtoted said:
How old is your girl who rides? I just got my 8 yr old son his first "real bike" (24 incher) and trail riding is still a bit of a challenge. The bike is just a bit unweildy for him yet.
She is 10 (small for her age). We got her the 24" bike last summer, but she really just grew into it this year. The bigger wheels and larger gear range make a real difference if I can just get her to figure out what gear she needs to be in. She has a habit of overgearing herself. I have been getting through to her a bit on that front, but it is still alot of coaching on my part to get her into the right gear.

In my experience fit is just as important for a kid as it is for adults. Maybe even more so because they don't have that much experience riding. If I had to do it again, I would have waited until this summer to get her the bigger bike.
 

·
Currently in Exile
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fastale said:
My newly made wife and I went to pisgah (i mean asheville) for our honeymoon. that place is a blast. i bet the kids would love it too. lots of waterfalls and beautiful senery. and if you stay in asheville the girls can spend the day @ the biltmore while dad burns up the trails. (you should probably check out the mansion too, it is cool.) lots of great food and cool shops in asheville. check out liberty cycles. those people where awesome. have fun.
We meant to get to Builtmore, but never seemed to make it. We were having too much fun out doors. Maybe next time.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top