Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trail conditions in DuPont have been awesome this fall, hard packed, dry and rolling nicely. Having been gone for 5+ months I was eager to get out on the trails in the past few weeks and see how well they held up to the 100+" of rain we have had this year. The trails held up great, I saw almost no signs of a summer of heavy rain on all the purpose built singletrack (fall line old roads certainly eroded).

Weather events this past week was a shitestorm for trail conditions: 2+" of rain followed by 1" of snow and then really cold (a few nights of 18 degrees). All that in just a couple days time and the wet with cold has set up freeze/thaw and muddy conditions on some trails in DuPont. Problem trails are those with clay based soils, sandier soil trails should be fine.

Reasonover was bad today (11/29), so bad that I will recommend closure to forest management to protect trail tread and all the good work that happened on that trail this spring. Other suspects: Airstrip, Mine Mountain, Laurel Ridge. This means parking at Fawn Lake right now will be the worst choice, consider other parking areas and ride trails in other sections of DuPont (or ride early while ground is frozen). I will continue to offer updates based on my inspections and others are encouraged to offer trail condition reports here as well.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today we rode Cascade, Pine Tree, Longside, Twixt, Wilkie and Micajah
...all good.
All those are on the sandy side. I would also expect Ridgeline and Jim Branch to be good to go, will check them out over the weekend and report back. Thanks for your post and report on these trails.

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Yup, thats why we rode that side and only found a spot or two holding moisture. The biggest hazzard was the ice on slab at the top of Cascade and top of Micajah, always makes for interesting traction.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Jim Branch and Ridgeline are fine. I rode then Thanksgiving.

Three and that side of Pitch Pine need some work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rode out of Lake Imaging yesterday 12-7. Jim Branch,Hilltop,& Ridgline were great.... Even after hard rains from night before.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
All of DuPont is cold and wet today.

I didn't see it first hand, just call it an intuition.

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Highly advisable that Reasonover should probably be avoided during the winter months. Rode it last week before the rains returned and after 4 days of sun and still a sploogy slop-fest. The red clay composit there just can't handle bike traffic on top of the freeze-thaw effect.

Like Jim Lauderdale and Donna the Buffalo says ..."Wait til spring".

Now you got that song in yer head, don't ya. ;)

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reasonover Creek Trail is now closed due to freeze/thaw and mud conditions. The trail will reopen when the weather stabilizes. Please respect this closure and help protect this trail during winter months and help spread the word. I will keep all posted and up to date when the trail re-opens.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Reasonover Creek Trail is now closed due to freeze/thaw and mud conditions. The trail will reopen when the weather stabilizes. Please respect this closure and help protect this trail during winter months and help spread the word. I will keep all posted and up to date when the trail re-opens.
Funny thing is, I said to my buddy today that I wish they would close that trail during the winter and make it a seasonal trail. Great trail but it just shouldn't be used by any user group this time of year.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad we could make your wish come true. It will not be an always closed in the winter type of thing, always winter and weather dependent. So far, the winter this weather has been a perfect recipe for bad trail conditions.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Glad we could make your wish come true. It will not be an always closed in the winter type of thing, always winter and weather dependent. So far, the winter this weather has been a perfect recipe for bad trail conditions.
It doesn't take much for reasonover to get bad.
My real wish would be it wouldn't need closing but I just don't soil conditions will allow that.
It is a great trail but I pretty much avoid it all winter regardless. Maybe I will ride it if there is a good solid freeze.

·
WNC Native
3,892 Posts
Thanks Woody!! Glad to see it happen, maybe now all the recent work won't be destroyed.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is all of Reasonover closed? Hopefully it is open to the Turkey Knob trail junction.
Sorry, but all of Reasonover is closed. You can use Pinnacle Mountain Road to climb up to gain access to the new Turkey Knob Connector. That is a nice uphill gravel road with good views.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Funny how the trails with the most recent work are the ones that get closed first.I'm wondering if this "work" has been done correctly.From the boastful typing's of these supposed trail experts it seems odd that a trail they worked on would need to be closed.

1 - 20 of 357 Posts