Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Mum, thoughtfulpirate, 66, brado, etc....

When we visit again in Oct. of 06 what route should we do at Dupont? We've done the Longfellow (?), Bridal Veil, Big Rock Trail route twice...along with Burnt Mountain (thanks MUM!!) and last year we added the Waterfalls route that was probably 70% doubletrack (went through the covered bridge and area that the "development" was supposed to arise). Give us another kick ass route to do this year, please???

We've done Sycamore, Thrift, Daniel's Ridge, Bennett's, Squirrel Gap, and Laurel Mtn. in Pisgah...anything that is a "must do" that we've missed there??

How about a route for a "shuttle" type ride for those of us bringing "big" bikes along with the XC's??

thanks..

TC

·
Philosophizer
483 Posts
In DuPont you need to do Mine Mtn,Larel Ridge,Shoals trail loops and do Reasonover Creek trail. If you haven't done Longbranch/Butter Gap in Pisgah you need to. Butter is seasonal. You should Make Cany Bottom part of that loop too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ok, heres go, another vote for Reasonover Trail in Dupont. If you hit this when we have had a spell of dry weather it is AWESOME. Combine this with Airstrip Trail (not on some maps but it is at the end of the Airstrip, DUH), Mine Mtn., and the slick rock trails (cedar rock and something else) and you will have a fun day of riding.
There really is not anything for dh rigs in Dupont.

You mention Laurel but not Pilot Rock. This definetley is a must do in Pisgah. Take Laurel to Pilot. Awesome techy downhill, tight switchbacks, wide open speeds and some serious rock garden action.

FARLOW GAP. You have to ride this. Ridiculous rock gardens. A little tedious to get to but well worth it. Just an amazing trail.

How about Bennett gap. This is another awesome downhill. It is seasonal also. This can be shuttled but why??

Kitsuma, out towards Black Mtn but it is another fun option. About a 8-10 mile loop. 1 mile steep switch back climb followed by bomber downhill run to a 5 mile cruise on an overgrown paved road. Watch out for the dogs and hunters :D This could be shuttled also but it takes longer to shuttle than to just ride up the closed road.

When it gets closer to your trip post up here again. I would be glad to help show you guys around for a day or two.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Big Creek

Big Creek
Big Bike riders will get a work out at the bottom but it is slightly down hill along the creek. 5-6 inch bikes can have a blast by doing a loop that starts by going up Laurel Mtn. to the Blue Ridge Parkway then down the Parkway to Big Creek.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gtdrew said:
You mention Laurel but not Pilot Rock. This definetley is a must do in Pisgah. Take Laurel to Pilot. Awesome techy downhill, tight switchbacks, wide open speeds and some serious rock garden action.
That's the way we rode it...up Laurel..then down Pilot back to the car....and yes..the rock gardens were what finally made hauling my Kona Coiler UP that damn mountain WORTH IT!!! The last couple hundred yards UP were a hike a bike from HELL!!

FARLOW GAP. You have to ride this. Ridiculous rock gardens. A little tedious to get to but well worth it. Just an amazing trail.
*marks this on map*

How about Bennett gap. This is another awesome downhill. It is seasonal also. This can be shuttled but why??
yeah...did bennett's this past October as well...it DOES rock!! That had to be one of the best rides we've done in the last 2 visits.

Kitsuma, out towards Black Mtn but it is another fun option. About a 8-10 mile loop. 1 mile steep switch back climb followed by bomber downhill run to a 5 mile cruise on an overgrown paved road. Watch out for the dogs and hunters :D This could be shuttled also but it takes longer to shuttle than to just ride up the closed road.
*mapped*

When it gets closer to your trip post up here again. I would be glad to help show you guys around for a day or two.
sweet!!

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enduro Adventures said:
Big Creek
Big Bike riders will get a work out at the bottom but it is slightly down hill along the creek. 5-6 inch bikes can have a blast by doing a loop that starts by going up Laurel Mtn. to the Blue Ridge Parkway then down the Parkway to Big Creek.
*again....marking this one!!*

thanks everybody!!

I will post up again when we're closer to the time...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.