Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a face to face (on bike) discussion with the DuPont/AGFA security guard yesterday. Effective July 13, he and others will be patrolling the private propety boundaries as noted on the Friends of Dupont Map and ticketting parties found on the property for trespassing. AGFA is transferring ownership back to DuPont (the chemical company, not the state forest) and the stepped up enforcement is happening in conjunction with this. According to the security guard (Owen, a really nice guy, FWIW), there are pits of asbestos and other hazardous waste on the property that they need to make sure the general public does not have access to. In today's litigous society, that is unfortunately understandable.

So, what does this mean when we're riding? Essentially, think of the PowerLine corridor as a fixed boundary. When you are coming down Cedar Rock trail, you can no longer go straight across the powerlines to the trail that many have been been using to get over to Bridal Veil. You know have to either proceed under the powerlines ( a public right of way) or take a sharp right onto the real continuation of Cedar Rock- this is currently marked off with yellow rope and is the recommended route. You then proceed down about 250 yards (guessing) and are past the private property boundaries. Little River trail is ahead of you and there's an unamed turn to the left- You can use this left to turn to cross the powerline and proceed over to Bridal Veil, so long as you don't turn back to the left and back onto private property-stay to the right after crossing the power lines. Importantly, access to Bridal Veil is still open going this way. CMWELDON- if I describe any of how we did this wrong, please correct.

We went this way yesterday and it was both fun and easy to figure out. Please show that MTB'ers can follow reasonable rules and take this route(and otherwise avoid the property boundaries) for the foreseeable future.
Thanks,
Mike Brown
PAS Advocacy Officer

·
Philosophizer
483 Posts
I was out for a little spin there this eve. and was happy to see that Conservation rd was open.There were new signs that said " Private Property stay on main rd". I'm glad thay got that worked out.So mike you can pop out under the power lines and cut back up ceader rock? That was where I had the talk with the guard and he said that the power lines were off limits period.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what the security guard told us to do, so I'm taking it as fine. He said they weren't really going to enforce the powerline corridor, but could not cross it until private property ended. He did seem much happier with the idea of us switching back into Cedar Rock rather than continuing straight down the corridor. Frankly, if we can't do that, I'll be pushing hard to cut some new trail to make it uneccesary to use the powerlines at all.
Mike

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Mike Brown said:
That's what the security guard told us to do, so I'm taking it as fine. He said they weren't really going to enforce the powerline corridor, but could not cross it until private property ended. He did seem much happier with the idea of us switching back into Cedar Rock rather than continuing straight down the corridor. Frankly, if we can't do that, I'll be pushing hard to cut some new trail to make it uneccesary to use the powerlines at all.
Mike
Fines? curious, how's a privately owned security agency going to issue fines? i for one don't carry my wallet with me while riding... what make checks payable to the DuPont Corp? :skep:

I totally understand their point of keeping folks out of the upper section of the climbout from upper Bridal Viel/Powerline @ Cedar Rock trail. I'm all for a rerouted section that brings Cedar Rock back away from the Powerline and down to Upper BV!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brad, I'm not sure what the vested legal authority was and I'm assuming this fellow was a DuPont Chemical/Agfa employee- it may be he represented a proper legal authority. What he said is he would be issuing tickets that would mean the ticketee and he would have to see each other in court, which he didn't want anymore than we would. Again, he was a really nice guy- it's possible that they (the property owners) have contracted with an actual law enforcement agency to do this. Or, they might detain a biker while the police were called, just like any trespassing issue- that would really blow.
Anyway, like you said, it's all a moot point, because it's still possible to get almost everywhere MTB'ers normally go without crossing the boundaries at all.
Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
lots O patrollers

I have been to Dupon't the past two days and have noticed quite a few trucks driving around.

BradO,

Your car was parked at Reasonover yesterday? My g/f and I were @ lake imaging taking in the scenery and floating the lake. So where's the pics from the ride?

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
extrmtao said:
I have been to Dupon't the past two days and have noticed quite a few trucks driving around.

BradO,

Your car was parked at Reasonover yesterday? My g/f and I were @ lake imaging taking in the scenery and floating the lake. So where's the pics from the ride?
Yepper! took my wife's nephew from Texas on a DuPont Tour... it was a little muddy over on Reasonover and Airstrip.. took him down to hit all of the Falls (BV/High/Triple/Hooker) and the the old car. didn't take too many shots, just enjoy'd the ride. :thumbsup:

man it was muggy out! missed the rain, heard rumbling's over towards Brevard and the sky got dark a couple of times, but luckily no rain.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Nice shot!

brado1 said:
Yepper! took my wife's nephew from Texas on a DuPont Tour... it was a little muddy over on Reasonover and Airstrip.. took him down to hit all of the Falls (BV/High/Triple/Hooker) and the the old car. didn't take too many shots, just enjoy'd the ride. :thumbsup:

man it was muggy out! missed the rain, heard rumbling's over towards Brevard and the sky got dark a couple of times, but luckily no rain.
It was very muggy. We floated and watched the thunderboomers pass by. I rode reasonover the day before and it was pretty boggy in spots. My g/f just got a new camera and she snapped some sweet pics. I will post them once she sends them to me.

Dupont = Utopia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.