Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son would love most of Art Johnson (he'll walk a few things) but he's just got no interest in pedaling up Dunn Rd. I gladly pedal up to keep my body in shape, but he is all about shuttling. I was thinking I would get my wife to drop us at the top of Dunn Rd and then we would only have a few hundred feet of climbing while we descend Dunn Rd to the tractors and hop on Art Johnson. Has anyone ever done this before to make a "shuttle" of Art Johnson?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I've climbed Dunn Rd from the tractor to Pinyon Pines a few times. I've seen e-bikers of all people descending it. :rolleyes:

Aside from one bigger climb descending Dunn there are a few shorter steep ones that would be hike a bike. Why not just shuttle Palm Canyon to get to AJ? Way better riding and way better scenery, and not much more effort.

Aside from that my only suggestion is to tell the kid to HTFU. A bit of climbing won't kill him.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, can you imagine a 10 year old who doesnt like to climb on 3 miles of hell wash?!?

He really likes stuff like Art Johnson so it will be perfect for him. He can handle a couple of hike a bikes down Dunn Rd from the top, but either the climb from Cathedral Canyon or the wash (and all the little climbs on the Epic) would require me to push his bike out ;-)

Thanks for the insight on the road above the tractors!

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,760 Posts
It's basically a worn out fireroad. Won't be too much work.

I would think an out and back of AJ would be way better. I like climbing Dunn because it gives me some reflection time and all, but going down it would put me in a bad mood.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Mountain bikers used to climb the mountains that they rode down. It was just part of the expectations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts