Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, I know....this is MTBR, where 12k bikes are needed to run the local blue trails and buying a carbon wheelset that cost more than some used cars seems reasonable. But man, I've really been wanting to go the other direction lately.

I've got a good sweet-spot geo steel hardtail frame that I keep feeling I want to dumb down the build. IMO the fork is one place where you really can't afford to do that unless you go full rigid, so that would be a Pike. Would have loved to use a 'Zokey Bomber Z2 but with the problems those are having, forget it. For the rest....I'm thinking cheap Advent X drivetrain (climbs are too nasty for SS), cable disc brakes like TRP Spykes, some middle of the road RaceFace cranks, some Spank wheels, and basic stem and bars. Just make it as simple a build as possible, the maintenance low and easy as possible, the worry non-existant, the cash outlay reasonable, without sacrificing functionality. Then just get out there and ride it into the ground without a second thought until the paint peels off. Sell the other bikes and call it a day. Ultimately it is about getting away from the daily grind and having fun and some challenge.

Anyone else gone this direction, and how did it turn out? Tips, tricks, etc?

Registered
This is an interesting challenge. Currently I am running the 9speed Advent on my bike and I love it. It works great and is super affordable. That being said, on the same bike, I built wheels laced up to Hope hubs and am running Hope v4 brakes.

I wouldn't run cable brakes for mountain bikes since they just don't seem to be able to provide the power needed. You could pick up a set of deores and have gobs more power than cable discs. I do run the spyres (road version of the spykes) on my gravel bike and they do their job well enough.

Registered
I will be the first to wholeheartedly support a hardtail build as a great do it all bike to bring excitement back to otherwise boring and easy trails (AKA 鈥 Imba-spec鈥檇 trails).

However, I would not skimp on the fork or brakes. FWIW, my Marz Z2 has had zero problems and offers a great bang for the buck. I wouldn鈥檛 run cable discs ever again. Just get some Shimanos and a funnel and they will treat you right.

Hardtails, by nature, are just easier to maintain and foolproof. And the modern ones are very, very capable. I ride lines on my ESD that I wouldn鈥檛 have done on my downhill bike back in the early 2000s.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be the first to wholeheartedly support a hardtail build as a great do it all bike to bring excitement back to otherwise boring and easy trails (AKA 鈥 Imba-spec鈥檇 trails).

However, I would not skimp on the fork or brakes. FWIW, my Marz Z2 has had zero problems and offers a great bang for the buck. I wouldn鈥檛 run cable discs ever again. Just get some Shimanos and a funnel and they will treat you right.

Hardtails, by nature, are just easier to maintain and foolproof. And the modern ones are very, very capable. I ride lines on my ESD that I wouldn鈥檛 have done on my downhill bike back in the early 2000s.
I'm hopeful there has been a running change to the Z2 to alleviate the bushing problems. The problem is there is no way of knowing, because Fox isn't going to admit to it, so who knows the date-forward for any changes. I hate using hope as a strategy, because I really think they otherwise got the fork right. I may take my chances anyway, but I'm just not sure yet.

fraid of heights
Yeah, yeah, I know....this is MTBR, where 12k bikes are needed to run the local blue trails and buying a carbon wheelset that cost more than some used cars seems reasonable. But man, I've really been wanting to go the other direction lately.

I've got a good sweet-spot geo steel hardtail frame that I keep feeling I want to dumb down the build. IMO the fork is one place where you really can't afford to do that unless you go full rigid, so that would be a Pike. Would have loved to use a 'Zokey Bomber Z2 but with the problems those are having, forget it. For the rest....I'm thinking cheap Advent X drivetrain (climbs are too nasty for SS), cable disc brakes like TRP Spykes, some middle of the road RaceFace cranks, some Spank wheels, and basic stem and bars. Just make it as simple a build as possible, the maintenance low and easy as possible, the worry non-existant, the cash outlay reasonable, without sacrificing functionality. Then just get out there and ride it into the ground without a second thought until the paint peels off. Sell the other bikes and call it a day. Ultimately it is about getting away from the daily grind and having fun and some challenge.

Anyone else gone this direction, and how did it turn out? Tips, tricks, etc?
This seems like a really dumb idea...

:) :) :)

high pivot witchcraft
I should probably clarify, I got rid of them with insanely complex robot devices.

馃槵
Oh. OH. OOOOOHHHHH.

Got it.

Reversing like鈥

Just kidding. I too removed the shifter cable on my Druid. Best thing I have ever done to that bike. Well, maybe the 11-6 might top it. But maybe not.

fraid of heights
SLX hydros, no problem. If I could just get the @$%^&* disk straight.
Is that what the F the problem is...?

Mine are noisy as hell until I actually start riding, then not so much. But when stopped and your bike just kinda moves around back and forth a little it's like I'm playing the violin really really badly?) I was assuming I just haven't got the calipers aligned well enough. But I have them on two bikes and I'd have thought I'd at least got one out of 4 calipers aligned good enough...??? :)

I have a mix of the cheaper Shimano rotors on the back and the better ones on front. I was also wondering if I contaminated the pads somehow? (or somebody did? Like something got sprayed in the garage and the pads or rotors have some kind of residue?) I did an alcohol wipe on the rotors of one bike and did a quick rebed and then went for a ride. Didn't seem to help. So I was gonna try new pads on the front to see if that made a change?

This place needs an enema
I like simple bikes. I ride a full rigid a few days a week, ~6 months of the year.

The problem is that every time I hop onto a HT with front suspension I like it more.

Same with FS.

I suppose if I bit the bullet and removed the other options I could be good with the rigid.

But I already know how good the other options feel. Hard to forget that.

Registered
This is an interesting challenge. Currently I am running the 9speed Advent on my bike and I love it. It works great and is super affordable. That being said, on the same bike, I built wheels laced up to Hope hubs and am running Hope v4 brakes.

I wouldn't run cable brakes for mountain bikes since they just don't seem to be able to provide the power needed. You could pick up a set of deores and have gobs more power than cable discs. I do run the spyres (road version of the spykes) on my gravel bike and they do their job well enough.
Agree on the cable brakes comment. I can echo what scoon said, because I'm running the exact same brakes on my gravel bike. Okay for gravel in the region I live (central Georgia), but I couldn't imagine running them on my mtb. I actually have the Deores on my mtb (2-piston fr, 4-piston rr) and they are super solid for the money.

Registered
I rebuild my full suspension once a year top to bottom. I actually quite enjoy the process. I take my time with it and replace what's needed. Usually send out my rear shock but I can rebuild the fork myself. Other then catastrophic failures, which will plaque any bike, it usually runs fine all season. I also don't feel like technology has hit a wall whereas upgrading every two seasons or so doesn't deliver me noticeably better performance.

What I do feel the itch for is bigger more immersive experiences. Whether that's touring or bikepacking, what have you, going back to the grind after my weekends or vacations is becoming more difficult.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Registered
Is that what the F the problem is...?

Mine are noisy as hell until I actually start riding, then not so much. But when stopped and your bike just kinda moves around back and forth a little it's like I'm playing the violin really really badly?) I was assuming I just haven't got the calipers aligned well enough. But I have them on two bikes and I'd have thought I'd at least got one out of 4 calipers aligned good enough...??? :)

I have a mix of the cheaper Shimano rotors on the back and the better ones on front. I was also wondering if I contaminated the pads somehow? (or somebody did? Like something got sprayed in the garage and the pads or rotors have some kind of residue?) I did an alcohol wipe on the rotors of one bike and did a quick rebed and then went for a ride. Didn't seem to help. So I was gonna try new pads on the front to see if that made a change?
Sounds like a warped rotor.

Registered
Had a fun hardtail for a while. 130 pike, built up from the box of spares. The thing ripped and I could ride 80% of the trails I take the big rig on, just with different line, albeit at a reduced pace if it was rocky.

Problem was it just destroyed rear wheels. Ended up running a heavy duty rim and tyres with an insert at ~35psi. Made for a very fun and skatey ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I do feel the itch for is bigger more immersive experiences. Whether that's touring or bikepacking, what have you, going back to the grind after my weekends or vacations is becoming more difficult.
I resemble this remark. It doesn't help that I have no mortgage payment or other lofty financial obligations. If not for the wife and dogs, I'd be in a shack on land somewhere or dirtbagging it and would never go back.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.