Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I really did it today. I went on my ride decided to take a 3min drink break along the way, layed my bike down, took one of my gloves off to check my fone or whatever, got ready to get rolling again, then I feel my chain is not moving, looked down and :madman:the moron that I'm I forgot to remove my glove and it got stuck between the chain and the Front derailleur. Needless to say it ruined my ride !

Now am thinking it just got twisted but can you give me any direction how to fix this by looking @ the pictures?

It would also help to hear something that can top this stupidity so I don't feel so :eekster: :eek::madman:

Thanks guys, I'm sure this tops it all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
If it moves up or down, you're going to have to retune it though cause the cable tension will change. I would just try to make us straight without loosening it too much, but it's not too big of a deal there are a ton of YouTube videos

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Bummer.

I'd probably see if I could get away with rotating it back with the cable in place. Your tuning will probably get messed up, but it's pretty easy to fix.

I have no patience for Internet videos. Unless they're ridiculously cute. But SRAM puts all their installation manuals online and if you'd like a little more text and some photos, the repair articles on parktool.com are very good.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
In my experience, doing this right is harder than it should be. I think without actually doing it by the book you'll likely spend a lot of time tweaking the angle, height, limit screws, cable tension etc. And when you think the front works fine then you realize that you have excessive rubbing after changing rear gears. RTFM is worthwhile here.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys, I'll try that in the a.m. my front d. was already giving me a bit of grief going down to the lowest ring, I think I can get it straighten out and try to mess w/it.

I'm also not much of a youtube guy either unless is music, but I'll check the parktool site, I've been there a couple of times.

As always thanks to all for taking the time.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
I'm not sure why this is hard...?

I can fix without separating the cable by grabbing the seatpost below the derailler before loosening the clamp. I force the derailler back to the dirt line on the seatpost while rotating it to the correct position. A few armature stop and cable slack adjustments later and all is good. Take about 2 minutes. A rotated derailler should never mean a ruined ride.

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
First before you try to move it shift into the smallest chain ring to take the tension off the cable. You could put a pencil mark on the seat tube along the top of the clamp for position. Then turn it or loosen the clamp a bit and turn it and tighten.
See how it works.
If you need tuning it is approximately 30-45 minutes of effort to learn how to get it adjusted based on the Park's site and Youtube. That is worthwhile info to have.

·
On wuss patrol
5,047 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm sure this tops it all!
Nope, not even close.

Since you got a Bikes Direct rig, perhaps take it to a local shop for a tune and fastener (nuts, bolts, screws etc) tension check. Sometimes, out of the box those bikes may have stuff that wasn't properly tensioned, as in the case of your front derailleur.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Didn't realize it was a BD bike.

One of the other things I like on parktool.com is their new bike build step list. This goes through every step in building and prepping a new bike, including links to the articles. I've used it for major tuneups too, as a way to make sure I didn't miss something.

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts
It would also help to hear something that can top this stupidity so I don't feel so :eekster: :eek::madman:
Was the guy who fixed a cracked frame with JB Weld and hose clamps a noob? In any case, that was a lot dumber than this here.

I'm not sure why this is hard...?
I agree, it sounds like everyone is over-complicating this. From the photos it looks like it's not bent, just rotated around the seat tube. Loosen the bolt, turn it back straight, and line up the clamp with the dirt marks on the tube to get it back to the original height. Cable tension might need some fine-tuning, but that should be within the capacity of the barrel adjuster on the shifter. That could have been done trail-side in a couple of minutes.

Nope, not even close.

Since you got a Bikes Direct rig, perhaps take it to a local shop for a tune and fastener (nuts, bolts, screws etc) tension check. Sometimes, out of the box those bikes may have stuff that wasn't properly tensioned, as in the case of your front derailleur.
Well, it doesn't hurt to have the fasteners checked, but you want certain things snug but not tight. Like in this case, it's better that the derailleur just got spun around the tube than bent up and needing replacement.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great advice all, I messed around w/it, and I'm thinking is bent. So it is going to my LBS, as I said I was already having a bit of an issue with my lowest front ring not going into gear.

It is a BD bike but I bought it over a year ago, she is soon to be replaced but in the mean time I don't want to lose momentum as I'm riding 3 tot 4 x a week and really loving it.

I appreciate the additional "noob mistakes" stories, and parktool is really going to be helpful moving forward as I learn more about fixing my bike.

Thanks again for pitching in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts