Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Embarrassing as this may be...I might as well tell it - y'all do the same ;)

[just now]
So, I'm going down to the corner store for some beer...OK, more beer...
I cross the road to get to the other side walk...

..yeah, I know about side walks...no biggie - just needed to cross the street w/ C/W signal... see map below

So, I go to manual up (F wheel) and press down (to get the rear wheel up w/out hitting the curb) - you know what I'm talkin' 'bout? same move every day for most of us...
EXCEPT!!
I was about 2 feet too early - When I went to press down for the rear wheel lift, the front wheel hit smack into the curb...It musta looked like the gayest little wheelie into curb

D'Oh.........

Ass over tea kettle I went - bike w/ flashig lights followin'.
I tucked and rolled - popped to my feet and only suffered a cut knuckle.
Sadly, there were no cars at the intersection to see me, heckle and make this story funnier.

Anyways, I was able to make it down to rescue the wenches and return to my castle - to fight another day!
:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Ouch

When I was a young man and first got into mountain biking I had probably the most embarrasing crash ever. I was riding through town on my way to some singletrack near the river when my front dérailleur started acting up. I looked down and watched while I tried to shift to see what was up. I suddenly came to an abrupt stop with my head down. I got up and collected myself and realized that I had just rode right into the back of a parked car. I took a quick look around to make sure no one saw my accident when I spotted 4 or 5 people sitting on their front porch laughing at my misfortune. I muttered a "sorry" ( thought it could have been their car) and rode off with a bruised ego.

I learn't my lesson that day, no looking at the gears while riding

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
Came around a fast corner and the front end washed out a bit and I went wide on the turn. There was a small sapling in my path, maybe 16 or 18 inches tall and as big around as a pencil. No biggie i figured, I'll just plow right over it.

It got wedged in between my crank arm and bash guard and stopped me dead in my tracks. before I knew what happened I was laying on my belly with my bike on top of me and my sun glasses about 10 feet in front of me.

I got a round of applause from the others in my group

·
Registered
393 Posts
3/4 of the way through an epic and my tired brain decides to check the pressure of the rear tire by squeezing it...

...while riding.

Luckily I got my hand off fast enough to not lose any limbs but i did end up having to bail.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A couple of years back. Bought my first real mountain bike,it was a Specialized hardrock sport. I was use with wally world bikes with almost no brakes. I decided to ride the bike home so I asked a relative to give me a lift till the LBS and went from there.

10 minutes I had the bike,I went down a paved hill,on the bicycle path. I saw a kid comming up so i started to brake a little bit to make sure the kid keep his line and me mine. Waited a bit and comfirmed that the kid was holding his line. Released the brakes.My mistake. At about 5 feet,the kid cut straight in front of me,I pressed BOTH brakes real hard and went over the bars. A nice perfect loop and landed on the ground. The loop was so perfect that i had the tire mark print to my butt shorts.

Huge bruises on one wrist and elbow,I was 1 week without moving them. When i asked the kid why he did that he explained to me that he was too tired to continue his climb,and that his dad bought him an oversize bike for him so when he want to stop,he need to use the sidewalk to put his feet on.

Attachments

·
Yo.
465 Posts
When i first got clipless pedals, I rolled up to a stop sign, clipped in, and reached out with my hand to balance myself on a piece of traffic furniture - one of those plastic posts that stands about three feet tall, with reflective tape at the top. I was not expecting the post to have a breakaway base (like slalom ski gates; they keep the post upright, but if you hit them with any force they bend to the ground and spring back up again), and when I leaned onto it, it just collapsed and sent me to the ground in slow motion, still clipped in. No cars around, so it was more embarrasing than dangerous when it happened, but 20 years later I'm still wary of holding onto stuff while clipped in with both feet.

·
Beer Swilling Clyde
323 Posts
Way back in probably my first year of mountain biking I did a backcountry trip with a few friends in the western Montana wilderness. The climb up was grueling but we managed. The decent was my first long, technical, and fast downhill experience and I was loving it. After the first mile I was starting to get my groove, hitting the tight turns with some speed, not grabbing a handful of brake for every rock garden and started catching some air.

My friends were much more experienced than me so were a couple hundred yards in front of me but I was doing my best to keep up. By the last mile of the decent I was full of adrenaline and feeling good. I was hitting everything with more speed than that first mile and was starting to feel I was way better then I really was. I came around a tight bend with about a 50 yard staight away with a downed tree at the end. The second I saw it I was going for it, pretty stupid but adrenaline and youth are a dangerous combination.

I started pedaling like mad thinking I would need as much speed as possible to clear it. The tree was probably 10 inches in diameter and a foot and a half off the ground. When I was about 20 feet away I saw two skid marks from my friends and I remember thinking, "pussies". I coiled up and and pulled on the bars with all I had, unfortunately, it wasn't enough. My front wheel smacked square into the meat of the tree and catapulted me into the air. I remember thinking that was stupid as I was hurling towards the ground, I landed flat on my back about 10 feet on the other side of the tree. I was in a daze and all I could think about was a grizzly bear was watching the whole thing and I was going to be lunch. To this day I get a little nervous every time I see a downed tree over the trail.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was in CO for a vaca, and we took buses up a mountain and were cruising on a bike path downhill for a couple miles. I was having fun and probably going in the ballpark of 25 mph. I thought i was pretty cool carving up the corners so fast (a little slower on the corners though)

I come up on some slow people and thought Id ring my bell to let em now i was about to pass them. As I was grinning at the fact that I was a more skilled rider and could go faster, and as I was ringing my bell, I turned my wheel too sharp and slid out really far on my side right in front of them.

Talk about embarrassing! I was supposed to be the better rider, and took a massive spill!

Thankfully the bike was fine and so was I, my pants were only alittle torn.
It was an ego hit, but it was for the better, cuz I shouldnt have been going so fast on a bike path in the first place :p hahaha

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've been riding for 35+ yrs so I'm not sure which crash would be the 'dumbest' but the other day I did a total rookie move.

My son and I are riding to the store for some bread. I stop to adjust my seat a little and he gets way ahead. I'm hammer dogg'n to try and catch up. I pedal thru a sharp 90° turn in the parking lot and catch a pedal. Rear wheel kicks out - high-speed wobble - Ass over teakettle - a couple of bounces later the bike ends up on top of me. Some guy driving his car was nice enough to try and get out to see if I was ok. I'm fine and before he can clear the door I'm up and riding again. I got a scratched bike and bruises for my Bozo move….

I don’t know why but every time I crash, I get right up and push on. Maybe you should check yourself and bike out but I just GO. Anybody else do that?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Had just built up a Santa Cruz Blur and on my first ride to campus in Tempe I made a fool of myself. I was crossing a busy street that had active road repair going on. I got to the other side of the street, tried to bunnyhop over the newly formed gap right before the curb (in all honesty it was at most 6") and landed just in time to wedge my front wheel into the curb. I endo'd in front of no less then 50 people and scratched up my brakes/shifters (remember the "bulb" on the first gen. Dual Control) that served as a constant reminder of how lame I was that day, for the next coupla years. Sucked.

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
I was rolling across the street to hit the trailhead. The trail starts just the other side a a very shallow ditch that someone tossed a board across for those post rain days when the ditch is muddy. Two guys were waiting for the rest of their party and the were straddling their bikes right beside the board, enough room to ride it but it would have been tight so I went to the right in what I figured was a half inch of mud. Except that it was six inches of mud and I had my weight forward because there is a six foot rise to the trail right after the board. My tire sank and stuck, I superman'ed over the bars and landed like a sack of sh*t. I am sure I got a least a minor rotator cuff tear from it. I finished the ride though. My arm did not work but I finished the ride.

·
Registered
174 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
I was rolling across the street to hit the trailhead. The trail starts just the other side a a very shallow ditch that someone tossed a board across for those post rain days when the ditch is muddy. Two guys were waiting for the rest of their party and the were straddling their bikes right beside the board, enough room to ride it but it would have been tight so I went to the right in what I figured was a half inch of mud. Except that it was six inches of mud and I had my weight forward because there is a six foot rise to the trail right after the board. My tire sank and stuck, I superman'ed over the bars and landed like a sack of sh*t. I am sure I got a least a minor rotator cuff tear from it. I finished the ride though. My arm did not work but I finished the ride.
That trumps mine for sure. Kudos for finishing the ride.

·
Crazy about Homegrowns
168 Posts
Riding home from work one day I passed a guy in the crosswalk, but there wasn't a ramp, just a curb. I thought I'd show off some mtb skills and bunny hop the curb, only I hadn't mastered the bunny hop yet. Rear tire landed square on the corner of the curb, and pinch flatted. I was so embarrassed I jumped off the bike and quickly walked home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
pretty dumb

Rode up Mary's in Loma back in 2004, came to the cattle guard at the top of the drop in to horsethief, friend stopped. Me " don't be a girl, ride it" 0 miles per hour front tire catches and I go arm first throught the cattle guard, snap both bones as I flip over, and get to hike out 2.7 miles and get surgery. Never call someone a girl unless it's a girl who is kicking your butt and meant as a compliment.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I was around 13 years old, my balls at the point of being horribly sensitive because of the age, I was bombing across a park on a walmart bike. I was in a relatively high gear, bombing through the grass with everything I had. Standing off the seat pumping hard I was probably going 15 or 20 mph when the chain slipped...slamming both my balls into my stem and handlebars with my full weight behind them. I then continued moving forward over the handle bars, and my foot hooked under one of the pedals bringing with bike over the handlebars with me... I can only imagine the sight of a kid bombing across a park and in the same moment tumbling end over end -bike and all- across that same park. After 15 or 20 minutes my manhood had recovered enough for me to walk home.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I was around 10 or 11 and was riding with sandals around the neighborhood when I decided to stick my foot on the front tire to see what it would do. Next thing I knew I was on the ground with a sore foot. My foot had jammed itself into the fork and I went OTB. Only suffered a few scratches, lucky nothing broke.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,396 Posts
I have a few:

I was a kid, not even 10, on a dept store bmx wanna-be bike. I lived on a cul-de-sac, and all the kids would race around the circle a-la Indy 500. We'd pretend to be the various popular drivers of the day. We usually did that in the street, but this one year a new house got built which gave us some dirt jumps between finished sections of sidewalk...before the new sidewalk got poured. There was a nice little jump just before the new house's driveway and I figured I could take that jump and make it to the driveway. You know how newly-poured concrete is, though...the dirt hasn't been smoothed out all around it yet. The wooden forms had only just been removed.

So I build up a head of steam and hit that jump, got some nice hangtime, but I didn't have a clue about how to land a jump. I started coming down front-first and my front wheel caught right where the edge of the driveway was. The bike stopped dead and I did a superman OTB and buried my forehead into the brand new driveway. This being back in the 80's when parents didn't make their kids wear helmets, of course. My friends went and fetched my mom, and I'd left a very significant red pond on that new concrete. I doubt that helped sell the house.

When I was an undergrad, there were a couple rail trails just off campus. I was out riding one of them one day and I had stopped at a road crossing. An opening in traffic presented, so I proceeded to pedal through. Except it didn't work out that way. I put my weight down on the pedal, and the chain snapped. The release of energy catapulted me OTB at a standstill and dumped me into the street. By the time I collected myself, I saw a large dump truck coming up the road and I had to scramble to get myself and my bike out of the street. I had to ride that bike back to campus kick-scooter style for about 5mi.

Just the other day - I was riding across campus to get to the trails, and I went to bunny hop a small curb. Except I went too early and I didn't have quite enough speed and my back wheel slammed right on the edge of the squared-off curb. I pinch flatted...tubeless. I checked my pack and discovered that I was missing my spare tube - no idea where I had put it last. I did it right behind the backstop of the intramural softball diamond where a couple of teams were warming up. Doh!

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
Back in 2008, I commuted to/from my work four days per week (28 - 32 mile round trip) on my road bike. One day, while trackstanding at a traffic light, I dunno what I did wrong, but all of a sudden I fell down HARD, putting all my weight on my thumb, which in turn split open and was spewing blood all over the place. I only had 4 or so miles to go until I got to work, so I kept on riding. By the time I got to work, blood was everywhere-all over me, and the bike. People at work who saw me were freaking out, asking if I got hit by a car or something.

Funny, I've been trackstanding since 1991 or so, and this was the first time I had ever fallen off trackstanding! :nono: Let's call it a zero MPH crash! :rolleyes: :blush:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.