Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it harmful to a bike to be stored in an unheated shed over the winter? I live in Ontario and typically the temperature is below freezing from December through March. A few mild days thrown in, but also periods of deep freeze as well.
I have always stowed my bike in the basement for the winter, but I am finally crazy enough to do some winter riding. So now I'm wondering if I should be lugging the wet/muddy bike through the house to the basement everytime, or if my precious machine will be okay in the freezing shed?
Any help?

·
Always klingin on
26 Posts
sweetfilly7 said:
Is it harmful to a bike to be stored in an unheated shed over the winter? I live in Ontario and typically the temperature is below freezing from December through March. A few mild days thrown in, but also periods of deep freeze as well.
I have always stowed my bike in the basement for the winter, but I am finally crazy enough to do some winter riding. So now I'm wondering if I should be lugging the wet/muddy bike through the house to the basement everytime, or if my precious machine will be okay in the freezing shed?
Any help?
It's more likely to be stolen, which may be very harmful to your bike.

·
Registered
259 Posts
what about the tires? is it better to keep them inflated at recommended tire pressure? or is it better to deflate them? or is it better to hang the bike on something and get all the weight off that same spot of tire?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
what about the tires? is it better to keep them inflated at recommended tire pressure? or is it better to deflate them? or is it better to hang the bike on something and get all the weight off that same spot of tire?
I kept my pressure around 60psi since I was riding on the road most of the time. Again no need to hang. It will be perfectly fine.

Bikes are not like cars. The weight of the bike on the tires is very insignificant.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
I kept my pressure around 60psi since I was riding on the road most of the time. Again no need to hang. It will be perfectly fine.

Bikes are not like cars. The weight of the bike on the tires is very insignificant.
do u plan to leave your tires at 60psi for the rest of the winter? or are you taking your bikes on rides at least once every 2-3 weeks?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Your bike will feel abandoned and neglected....
Peering through the windows of your heated house watching...house on the flat screen.

I say bring it in w/ the rest of the kids.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
highdelll said:
Your bike will feel abandoned and neglected....
Peering through the windows of your heated house watching...house on the flat screen.

I say bring it in w/ the rest of the kids.
That's how I feel, but the bf will probably shoot me if I track mud and/or snow through the house each time I ride over the winter. He says shed. I was thinking I could just use the Sham-Wow.....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input but in the end, it was a moot point.
Riding in the snow, the bike ended up cleaner than when I started. Driving home with the bike on the rack, it was bone dry when I got there. It went right back into it's safe, warm winter cubby.
However, I had such a fabulous time riding, that it seems I will be getting out quite a bit before the snow melts and the ground starts to thaw. I'll be lugging my precious steed up and down the basement stairs for the months to come! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
sweetfilly7 said:
Any help?
It should be fine in the shed. But your carpet may not survive it living in the basement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.