Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just started to work on my bikes myself and I have a question. I just replaced a rigid fork with a suspension fork and now when the suspension compresses, the brakes are completely loose but when the suspension is extended back, the brakes are tight. How do I fix this??

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
davee930 said:
Hey guys, I just started to work on my bikes myself and I have a question. I just replaced a rigid fork with a suspension fork and now when the suspension compresses, the brakes are completely loose but when the suspension is extended back, the brakes are tight. How do I fix this??
What type of brake do you have?

The first, not really enough info, guess is the brake cable/housing is too short.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
It's got to be a cable brake, right? Where and how do you have the housing run?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
highdelll said:
cantilevers?
The classic error would be using a headset or stem cable hanger for cantis with a suspension fork. But not many suss forks still have rim brake bosses.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
shiggy said:
The classic error would be using a headset or stem cable hanger for cantis with a suspension fork. But not many suss forks still have rim brake bosses.
OP never said anything about his fork (head size, bosses, etc)
Plenty of modern forks still have rim brake bosses...I don't even know why I'm telling you this as you know more than I :confused:
Tora fork? - good fork available w/ bosses. - Just to name one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 20+ year shimano system I think. I didn't change anything to do with the brakes when I switched forks so I dunno if I need a different type of brake system or something.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
davee930 said:
It's a 20+ year shimano system I think. I didn't change anything to do with the brakes when I switched forks so I dunno if I need a different type of brake system or something.
20+ years would be cantilever brakes. No current fork works with them. Need to go with linear pull ( V brakes) and levers at the very least.

But a 20 year old bike is not going to be designed to use a suspension fork, either. Can make a real mess of the handling.

Pics of your bike would help.

http://parktool.com has good service instructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just guessing on the age of the bike it's an old specialized hard rock. Yeah they are cantilever brakes but they're not v brakes. Thanks for you answer, I see why v brakes would work!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
davee930 said:
Do you know some kinds of cheap v brakes and cables I could buy to replace my current brakes?
Check the usual online sources. Jensonusa.com is one of my favorites

1 - 11 of 11 Posts