Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this question because I am about to pull the trigger on a Surly Instigator 2.0 (sight unseen- going off of reviews and internet info).

I am drawn to this bike for several reasons- a big one of which is the fact that I can ride 26 inch wheels and upgrade to 27.5 as funds allow for a proper fork and wheel set. All the components on my current ride will swap over without issue.

This leads me to wonder if I am limiting my scope due to the 26+ category- wouldn't all 27.5 HT frames (explosif, b-side, etc...) essentially be 26ers if the BB height would be tall enough with the smaller wheels?

The wheel base on the Surly is tight for a 27.5 so maybe that is the standout feature... (I just thought of that and I have to look at the other frames I just mentioned... Hmmm)

Just wondered what peoples' thoughts were...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Yeah, that's one way to look at it, I guess. Some frames go back and forth better than others due to things like bb height and tire clearance.

650b's relative closeness in size to 26 is the source of some of its highest praise and harshest criticism.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Yeah, that's one way to look at it, I guess. Some frames go back and forth better than others due to things like bb height and tire clearance.

650b's relative closeness in size to 26 is the source of some of its highest praise and harshest criticism.
Especially when you take into account that so called 26" bikes generally measure 26.25" or 26.5" in diameter with tires mounted,while 27.5" generally are true to the name. All things being equal, such as tire size. So just about an inch or so in reality. A difference that many riders can't feel, while others can. Clearly, in any case, not close as dramatic a difference as between 29".

·
nothing relevant to say
1,372 Posts
It has been a long known that a 26" x 2.6" is just about the same outside diameter as the 650Bx2.3" Pacenti Neo Moto. This was an early method of checking 26" frames for a potential 650B conversion. This is how many of use figured that so many 'big-hit' bikes could accept a 650B but needed the shock to be limited.
I think Surly wanted to get into the 650B game but wanted to remain nichey. Thus "26+"
Not quite a fatty and not 650B rim size. = compromise. AND a damn versatile bike, which is what Surly thrives on. Also, they love their "Fatties Fit Fine" chainstays, and while 26x2.5 tires are not longer considered "FAT", Surly needed to step up their game in the "FFF" department...by creating a new rim and tire combo along with the return of the Instigator. I would venture a guess that Salsa will bring back their Ala Carte as a more performance oriented 650B.

my 2cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.