Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ripley AF Deore Monument Silver
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike with Shimano M-315 brakes. Because I am still an entry level rider, these suit my needs well. except in one respect.

They have "three finger" levers. I had thought this a mostly theoretical objection because I just moved them in and made them more like 2-finger levers.

However, I went OTB in December and hung my left FU finger on the lever and broke it. Surgery broke it.

Now I'm riding again and super-conscious of how long the levers are because of the finger. Because it won't fully "grip" yet, I wind up having to kind of tuck it under the end of the lever.

Can I replace the levers with "2-finger" (Shimano's term) from another brake model (by this I mean the levers themselves as opposed to the assembly)?

Or should I just get some Deores cheap somewhere and be done with it? Or is a lever assembly replacement feasible/desireable?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yes you can replace your levers with some new levers like the Deore levers. I did the exact same thing on my M455 brakes. I paid about $23 each for the Deore levers.

Reactions: TwiceHorn

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you can replace your levers with some new levers like the Deore levers. I did the exact same thing on my M455 brakes. I paid about $23 each for the Deore levers.
Ah, thank you. Are the lower-end levers mostly interchangeable? And are you referring to the entire lever assembly (attach the hose?) or just the levers themselves?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
There are a couple different hoses that Shimano uses so the caliper has to use the correct hose/fitting. But the lever itself can be changed. Just disconnect the hose at the lever. Attach the new lever and bleed.

Reactions: TwiceHorn

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might just be more worthwhile to buy a set of Deores and call it done. They aren't really much more expensive.
Am I right-thinking that Deore is a good mid-level solution? Doubt I really ever NEED more than I've got, but some excess capacity can't hurt. I also have resin-only rotors, but that only affects pad choice, right?

·
since 4/10/2009
35,266 Posts
Am I right-thinking that Deire is a good mid-level solution? Doubt I really ever NEED more than I've got, but some excess capacity can't hurt. I also have resin-only rotors, but that only affects pad choice, right?
Deore would be a pretty solid choice. Yeah, your current rotors would be fine so long as you're using resin pads in the calipers.

I think the full Deore brakeset would give you a little bit more room to grow into the bike and its capabilities. You'll have more pad options if you decide later that you want to take advantage of them (cooling fins, material options, etc), of course, assuming you upgrade the rotors if you decide to try sintered pads.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same question as you. I recently replaced my 615 Deores b/c they started leaking mineral oil at the lever area. I chose the SLX brake lever. it was a very easy process but you will have to pump in some new oil from the caliper b/c there's no oil in the lever. This helped:
BTW, I noticed that my hoses were labeled "shimano high power brake hose" or something like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.