Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
20,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time for the most knowledgeable forum on MTBR to answer dumb questions from the peanut gallery

1) can this blowout M752 crank spider and rings be extracted and fit onto the old XTR 950/952 crank arm?

Jenson M752 blowout crank

2) What is the smallest inner ring that will fit on that spider, will a 20 tooth fit for example?

Thanks for catering to Walt the Clueless.

Walt out

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
not really. cheese did it but not without heavy modification. i took the easyer but more expensive route and got a 4 bolt compact xtr spyder bti part # sh - 20600 about $50. this allows the use of anyones compact 58 / 94 bc rings including xt's on the 952 arms. works perfectly.

thats a killer deal though walt and i may just grab a set myself. hell its worth it just to get the rings alone! a 22 is as small as you can go on a 58 bc. days gone by allowed a 20 on micro drive but those days are long gone. a 22 /34 is plenty low, even for this old man. good luck pal.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Larry hooked me up with an XT spyder to fit on my 952 cranks, don't think I spent much more on the spyder/rings/bolts than that XT crankset.

I have the same XT crank on my Burner and the spyder is press fit on, and it squeaks like a mofo.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
gonzostrike said:
Walt, why not just use the XT instead of taking it apart and piecing it together with XTR parts?
FYI, he will need an XT BB too, different splines than the XTR BB, I learned this the hard way.

Probably cheaper and easier to just order the syder and get the rings you want, unless your XTR BB is spent which in that case the XT crank/BB would be cheaper most likely.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
rroeder said:
FYI, he will need an XT BB too, different splines than the XTR BB, I learned this the hard way.

Probably cheaper and easier to just order the syder and get the rings you want, unless your XTR BB is spent which in that case the XT crank/BB would be cheaper most likely.
aha.

my inexperience with **any** XTR stuff is showing. :eek:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Just get the crank and buy the $30 ES 71 bb to go with it. Those XTs are lighter and stiffer than the old XTR arms anyway.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
FYI, I bought two of those from Jenson, and they appear to be the real deal. Almost too good a price to be true, so just thought I'd throw that out there.

I like the chainline on the Spot with these cranks alot better than the new, external bearing XT cranks. Just one guy's opinion.

·
12,942 Posts
i was gonna buy 1 or 2 but now i have different plans for that money. still one helluva deal and thats from a guy who pays whoelasle or better. grab these up guys and be sure to save one in a box for me. ill pay ya a extra $5 when i recover from my newest impulse closeout buy. hehe. dont tell anyone squish. its a ser-prize!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Any tips on getting rid of the creak with these cranks?, my riding buds would appreciate it!

·
12,942 Posts
start with proper torque of all h/ware, makin sure the bearing pre load ist too tight and greasing the crap outta the b/bkt shell, treads and faces both, even the spacers. if that doesnt do the trick then a super light film of grease on the splines will finish the job. if not, look for cracks. hope this helps ya out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts