Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a cheapo frame with a 68mm bottom bracket shell and a cheapo bottom bracket (square taper) that's supposedly 68 or 73mm. It doesn't have a spacer (or one that I could find!) but instead appears that you thread it all the way in on the drive-side and then thread the other side in as far as it goes. I did that and there's like 5mm of threads that remain exposed on the non-drive-side cup. Does this make sense?

I tried threading the non-drive-side in all the way first and then threading the BB in, but it left that 5mm gap between the drive-side cup and the frame. Didn't seem right.

Am I missing something here? Thanks, S

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha. That makes sense. Probably does need a spacer then on the drive-side. Then it would leave 2.5mm of threads on the non-drive-side cup exposed. Cool, thanks. Time to dig through the parts box... or stop by the shop. S

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
DSR said:
Gotcha. That makes sense. Probably does need a spacer then on the drive-side. Then it would leave 2.5mm of threads on the non-drive-side cup exposed. Cool, thanks. Time to dig through the parts box... or stop by the shop. S
Wait, I'm a bit confused now. Does your BB have a lip on anyone of the cups? Adjustable BB's are usually fully threaded on both cups. Each cup can be screwed in all the way inside the shell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.