Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for all the BB7-related threads, but since it's only three letters, it's kinda tough...

I’m converting my 06 Kona to Avid BB7s. Fork (Marz) mount is post-style, and rear mounts are the IS-type. Rotors will be the standard 160mm ones (Hayes V6 or whatever comes with the Avids). Levers will be Avid Speed Dial Ti.

Is it safe to assume that the calipers will basically bolt right on (once I remove the adapter for the front)?

I’m going to run full-length housing (frame is already setup for it), and was thinking of going with “bulk” Shimano housing or Avid’s Flak Jacket kit(s). Assuming proper setup/prep, is either one noticeably better than the other? Are there others to consider (that aren’t in the Nokon price range)?

Many thanks.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Astroguy said:
Can't comment on the mount, but with cables the Shimano should be just fine. Most critical thing to getting smooth cable action is the cable prep. Someone put together a great walkthrough on cable prep here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130064
Good stuff. That and Sheldon Brown's cable/housing info is invaluable.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
MileHighMark said:
I tried searching for all the BB7-related threads, but since it's only three letters, it's kinda tough...

I'm converting my 06 Kona to Avid BB7s. Fork (Marz) mount is post-style, and rear mounts are the IS-type. Rotors will be the standard 160mm ones (Hayes V6 or whatever comes with the Avids). Levers will be Avid Speed Dial Ti.

Is it safe to assume that the calipers will basically bolt right on (once I remove the adapter for the front)?

I'm going to run full-length housing (frame is already setup for it), and was thinking of going with "bulk" Shimano housing or Avid's Flak Jacket kit(s). Assuming proper setup/prep, is either one noticeably better than the other? Are there others to consider (that aren't in the Nokon price range)?

Many thanks.
Yeah, just remove the PM to IS adapter and you are good to go (you do need to keep all the washers for lateral adjustment according to Avid)

You can use Shimano housing and cables, you can replace more often at a lower cost.... no problem :thumbsup:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Astroguy said:
Someone put together a great walkthrough on cable prep here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130064
"Someone"? Gheesh, I poured my heart and soul into that thread... :)

Hey, I second the plain jane Shimano housing, or QBP/Jagwire stuff. Can't beat it for value. I actually didn't like the Avid stuff because it was too stiff and tended to "push through" in a full suspension setup.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speedub.Nate said:

Hey, I second the plain jane Shimano housing, or QBP/Jagwire stuff. Can't beat it for value. I actually didn't like the Avid stuff because it was too stiff and tended to "push through" in a full suspension setup.
I remember using some Aztek/Delta housing a few years ago, and it was so stiff that I couldn't get a clean curve anywhere on the bike.

Looks like it's Shimano or Jagwire/QBP.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
MileHighMark said:
I remember using some Aztek/Delta housing a few years ago, and it was so stiff that I couldn't get a clean curve anywhere on the bike.

Looks like it's Shimano or Jagwire/QBP.
The funny thing is Jagwire is or was the OEM for Delta & Avid. They used to be a little more open about who they manufactured housing for, but lately they've clammed up. Jagwire's own Ripcord is as stiff as they come (where stiff = unworkable), whereas their generic QBP branded stuff is supple and consistant.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:

Nice thread. The shrink wrap is an interesting idea, though I must say that I prefer a small bit of solder. It keeps the cable from fraying, but you can take it on and off without having to take anything off the cable. If done carfully you get just enough in to hold the strands together without making a big blob on the end of the cable. I agree on the el-cheapo QBP housing. You can afford to replace it regularly, since it's so cheap, and it performs admirably.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
Nice thread. The shrink wrap is an interesting idea, though I must say that I prefer a small bit of solder.
Give the heat shrink a try sometime. You'd be surprised how easily it pulls off, leaving more-or-less virgin cable behind.

My problem with soldering had always been the clumsyness of it all, and getting enough heat onto the cable without melting the housing lining. I would like to try it again with a butane torch, however.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Give the heat shrink a try sometime. You'd be surprised how easily it pulls off, leaving more-or-less virgin cable behind.

My problem with soldering had always been the clumsyness of it all, and getting enough heat onto the cable without melting the housing lining. I would like to try it again with a butane torch, however.
I have no doubt that it comes off easily. I just don't want to have to redo it every time I want to take the cable off. I havn't ever melted the housing lining. I just carefully heat the solder until a small drop forms, and then quickly touch the tip of the cable to it. Enough solder is drawn into the strands to hold 'em together, and there isn't a big, unsightly blob left on the end of the cable. It's very neat and tidy. The only problem is that I don't get to use the pretty pink crimpies that I have. :( :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.