Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great info in previous post by pmars on Duluth's Piedmont and Brewer trails, am left wondering if it is worth stopping there on way to Copper Harbor? Does anyone know how the two areas compare? Looking for beta for skilled riders passing through from AZ that are used to riding chunk and tech in Sedona and the like riding Evil Offering and Ibis Ripley bikes.

How bout Mt. Ashwabay in Bayfield, is that worth a stop?

Also, if passing through CAMBA area, how would you rate Ojibwe=>Flow Mama and Rock Lake for potential rides?

Would you linger in Duluth/Bayfied/Camba or just beeline to Copper Harbor? This will be in fall so I doubt that any of the options will suck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Some of the black trails are currently closed up at Copper Harbor. Keep an eye on it before you leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't make it this year, but these are some of the best trails for miles potentially closed. I hope no more dumbing down of excellent trails. If you can't pre-ride then re-ride, then the faults on yourself as a rider and should accept the consequence.
I'd come for hours drives to support their economy for these unique trails, I hope they realize not everyone wants or able to have green trail riding.

·
SR Suntour
134 Posts
Where you driving from? I prefer riding up in the Minnesota Range area to Copper Harbor. Copper Harbor has a cooler vibe and if you want to stay put in one place it's better for that and in fall the leaf peeping is spectacular, but if you go for black trails, I'd keep an eye out on if those are opening or not. But for variety and quantity of riding and lifts northern MN is tops. Duluth is primo and Spirit has lifts. Giants Ridge also has some great terrain and lifts. Redhead bike park is beyond rad and Tioga is great too. Then kick over to Cuyuna for some red goodness!

I like Camba a lot, but even the flow trails and "trail candy" are XC oriented, so it's basically a mix of old school and new school XC, fun but not for everyone. Ashwabay I haven't got to ride yet (rained when I was up there last year) but people love it, probably similar to other Camba but a little more new-school.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where you driving from? I prefer riding up in the Minnesota Range area to Copper Harbor. Copper Harbor has a cooler vibe and if you want to stay put in one place it's better for that and in fall the leaf peeping is spectacular, but if you go for black trails, I'd keep an eye out on if those are opening or not. But for variety and quantity of riding and lifts northern MN is tops. Duluth is primo and Spirit has lifts. Giants Ridge also has some great terrain and lifts. Redhead bike park is beyond rad and Tioga is great too. Then kick over to Cuyuna for some red goodness!

I like Camba a lot, but even the flow trails and "trail candy" are XC oriented, so it's basically a mix of old school and new school XC, fun but not for everyone. Ashwabay I haven't got to ride yet (rained when I was up there last year) but people love it, probably similar to other Camba but a little more new-school.
Thanks for the info Fatty! My skilled rider cousins are stopping in Barnes WI for a family reunion on their epic bucket list mtb trip from AZ to CT and so I think Cayuna is as far north as they are considering. I have only ridden CAMBA myself, I really enjoy the primitive feel of trails like Ojibwe where it shares the snow shoe trails, thanks for your relatable trail descriptions!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Duluth is a great small city even if you don't ride MTB trails. Look up James R Barker passing through the bridge on YouTube for example. I like the rocky stuff mentioned, Lester/Amity area even if not biking. For food and drink Fitger brew house is popular and good but I like places such as OMC Smokehouse and Love Creamery plus others in that Superior St. neighborhood that are very local. Keeping the unique to Duluth idea, Hawk Ridge is rocky, not too technical, but you can see and hear the lakers and salties from there - that's Lester/Amity area I mentioned. I park bottom and top but for MTB usually park top to minimally go out and back on Hawk Ridge but usually do a loop going down east side and riding up the middle.

I don't dislike the lift served riding but there's a lot of that around the country now. If I make that choice I like the I think only Thursdays late afternoon tickets and then head to one of the eat places I mentioned. Same for lots of flow trail now too but southwest (far end from Lester/Amity) has a nice version of that.

There are many great places around Lake Superior but Duluth gets me for more than just outdoor stuff. If the shipping traffic interests you, the Marine Traffic site can tell you when some of the more interesting lakers and salties will arrive or depart.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Dope Pedaler's riding cousin from AZ chiming in here. Headed to Copper Harbor after cousin/cabin/lake shenanigans. Duluth is a bit out of the way but we will then head east to MI UP. I've got Copper Harbor pretty scoped out for rides but the question is whether to spend two days there or perhaps one day and head to Marquette?

Looking forward to checking out some northwoods trails!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here's more beta on Marquette

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.