Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a free 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper and am doing a mini-restore for fun. It has a Rock Shox Duke 100mm fork which I am in the middle or rebuilding.

I know I could throw on a better fork but I felt like keeping this one bone stock and making it new again.

I've got all new seals and ordered a replacement negative spring from McMaster Carr which had to be ground down a bit to fit. Thanks to another post on this forum on the spring since it is no longer available in the aftermarket.

I've never opened up a fork before so I'm learning as I go. The service manual for this fork is not in the SRAM archives... there are lots of Duke manuals but they all look different than this one so I'm using the one that is most like what I have.

anyway... I'm almost done and filling with fork oil and the first part is to put 15cc of 5w in the damping side lower. When I do this, with fork upside down as shown in the manual, the oil travels through the damping tube and dribbles out the upper side and onto the floor. I don't understand how that 5w wouldn't mix with the 15w for the uppers. I see the seal but the tube allows oil to move from the lower to the upper.

What am I missing? How does this work? Am I missing a part? The part shown in the photo is the only thing that was in the damping side.

thanks for any help here
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'll have to dig around... a year or so ago I rebuilt a '03 Duke and may still have the SRAM docs for it. But, again, it's for '03, and it has the "U-Turn" feature (allowing on-the-fly travel adjustment from ~60-105mm). Does your Duke have that?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Which version of the fork do you have, post pics of it and any decals etc? There were so many different slightly tweaked version of that fork, then someone might be able to better help you. I have a DukeXC and AFAIR it's no different than a regular fork damper, damper oil goes in through the top for the damper, lower leg lube oil goes in via the bottom, but it's been years since I've worked on it I absolutely can't say that's for sure, just remember it was nothing different than working on any other fork, except it had a basic damper with no adjustments, but could be upgraded to a Motion Control unit with lockout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, thanks guys, really appreciate the responses. I think this one is super basic, only rebound control on the bottom.

I got it back together and just had to re-read the manual I was using over a few times, I'm just not familiar with forks so my brain was getting confused on the terms it was using for different parts of the fork (e.g. hydra-this and hydra-that) so I was putting oil in the bottom of the wrong side I think.

I put 5ml of 5wt in the bottom of the compression side and then 150ml from the top on the damper side. Then a little bit of 5wt from the top on the compression side. It works well, I hope this is right. There's very little difference in rebound adjustment so maybe it needs some 10 or 15wt? Probably not important anyway since my daughter will be riding this.

thanks for the manuals links, I'll check those out and see if I can find mine for future reference.

Dan

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.