Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a mountain bike tire that is designed primarily for on road use. However, I plan on cutting down dirt roads and hard packed trails. I keep finding slicks on the sites I have checked so far and I need something with a decent tread pattern that wont wear out quickly, while giving me acceptable traction on dirt roads. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've liked these:

http://www.bontrager.com/model/00428

Smooth rolling on pavement due to the continous center tread, but enough knobs to not be totally squirlley off road. Run them 50-60 psi for pavement, drop them to around 35 off road, work pretty well. Mine have over 6000 miles on them, mostly road (it's on my commuter/sometimes loaner/sometimes backup mountain bike) and they look like they'll go a couple thou more, easy. Cheap too.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Stylishxone767 said:
What do you think of this tire? Do you think it will be too weak on the dirt road?

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail.h...Name=Tires/Mountain&lprice=29.98&hprice=29.98
"Weak" in the dirt and wear out quickly on pavement. On anything other than hardpack the Micro Knobby would be no better than a slick of the same size.

I would look at touring tires, especially the Schwalbe line. They have a bunch of models under the general Marathon name.

I have also been using the WTB Graffiti UK as a "dual sport" type tire. It rolls and corners pretty well on pavement and is decent on dirt. I expect the wear to be OK with the broad blocks, even with the softish rubber, though I do not have a lot of miles on them yet.

There are also a bunch of other dirt jump tires out there (Maxxis Holy Roller, Kenda K-Rad) that could work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
is there anyone who had tried both the holly roller and k-rad? the k-rads are available for a few bucks cheaper but....maybe I will just buy both! thanks in advance. I mostly commute to work, but I get on packes trails from time to time. Never really much on 'real' trails. The holy roller comes in 2 widths as well...much noticeable difference in grip/speed between the 2.2 and 2.4?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts