Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone remember the days of using two snowcat rims attached together someway. i was thinking about doing this for my next ratrodbikes.com build off. i am thinking about building a steampunk monster penny farthing or a steampunk road warrior bike long and low. attached are some pics of my inspiration.

how were these rims attached. two 50mm umas with some studded nokians would look killer or one studded endo.

i am also looking for some of the old super long travel forks and frames. if you know of any let me know.

Attachments

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Why not make it a practical experiment at the same time? weld two 70's together and mount an endo on it. That way we know what it looks like on a 140mm rim. Or weld two 29er snowcats or umas together and mount up a 29er tire. If I remember my info correctly, they clamped two rims together, welded the hub side of the joint together, trimmed out the two touching sidewalls, then welded the inside and grinded/sanded the inner joint.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
sean salach said:
If I remember my info correctly, they clamped two rims together, welded the hub side of the joint together, trimmed out the two touching sidewalls, then welded the inside and grinded/sanded the inner joint.
Nothing to it. ;)

My vote if for two 29er Umas. When I think of steam power, I thing of huge steel wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.