Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy? I see the DUC32 has an a2c of 517mm, an F29 80 is 481mm , and a 100 is 501mm, so even running more sag, the DUC32 would rake it out somewhat. At an 1140mm wheelbase, I calculate ~0.5 deg shallower head and seat angles for every 10mm additional height. So, if the sagged head tube angle is 70 deg (GF spec) with the F29 80 (~460 sagged), I figure it'll be a bit under 69 deg with the DUC32 (480+ sagged).

I've got almost enough parts to try this out without a huge investment, but I'd need to lace up a 29" rim on my Maverick hub, do the fork bumper conversion, and maybe come up with some sort of headset adapter. Any idea how this handle? I imagine it'll still feel fairly quick-steering compared to my 6x6 AM 26er. This would be for lighter trail-riding duty, not XC racing. I'm 6'-3" and 190+ w/o gear, and like stable high-speed descending.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It would look really cool, and be a different bike. The problem is probably going to be that a taller fork, with a different offset would give you a very slow front end. It would be hard to weight it down for front wheel traction, and climbing. Long top tube + too tall fork = front end washout. Try to get a 100mm G2 fork if you want a little slower handling.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
fallzboater: This would be for lighter trail-riding duty, not XC racing. I'm 6'-3" and 190+ w/o gear, and like stable high-speed descending.

Are you sure you want to use a super-light carbon fiber XC race frame for this purpose?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Sure you could put it together. But would it make real sense? Get a cheap alu frame for such a prject, one with a steeper HTA and a lower BB, it will work out better. Niners for instance are built to 100mm AND have a steep HTA and low BB. You'd void warranty with a dual crown I'm sure, but it would be fun, especially at 120mm travel.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shishku said:
It would look really cool, and be a different bike. The problem is probably going to be that a taller fork, with a different offset would give you a very slow front end. It would be hard to weight it down for front wheel traction, and climbing. Long top tube + too tall fork = front end washout. Try to get a 100mm G2 fork if you want a little slower handling.
Yes, that would be a consideration. There's a lot of loose riding here in the summer, and it does suck if you can't weight the front end. It's hard to know without trying it. It would look cool, but if it doesn't handle well on the fast stuff, I'd never ride it.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Neighbor input

fallzboater said:
Crazy? I see the DUC32 has an a2c of 517mm, an F29 80 is 481mm , and a 100 is 501mm, so even running more sag, the DUC32 would rake it out somewhat. At an 1140mm wheelbase, I calculate ~0.5 deg shallower head and seat angles for every 10mm additional height. So, if the sagged head tube angle is 70 deg (GF spec) with the F29 80 (~460 sagged), I figure it'll be a bit under 69 deg with the DUC32 (480+ sagged).

I've got almost enough parts to try this out without a huge investment, but I'd need to lace up a 29" rim on my Maverick hub, do the fork bumper conversion, and maybe come up with some sort of headset adapter. Any idea how this handle? I imagine it'll still feel fairly quick-steering compared to my 6x6 AM 26er. This would be for lighter trail-riding duty, not XC racing. I'm 6'-3" and 190+ w/o gear, and like stable high-speed descending.
I was talking to the neighbor guy in HR and he has a Turner Sultan. He had a DUC32 on it before buying a Fox 29er fork. I asked him which fork he liked better. He just shrugged his shoulder and said, "Oh, they both work really well. I don't know." He is going to let me try his Sultan on a long ride on Monday night. I'm jazzed! You probably have 90% of the stuff you need to build up a 29er sans frame. I'm not sure I prefer 29ers but they are fun...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kosmo said:
Whatever you decide to do, make sure and use a torque wrench during assembly! ;)
I've got one, but I'll need to send it in for NIST-traceable calibration before I can use it again. :rolleyes:

BTW, you're paranoid.

·
meh... whatever
5,306 Posts
fallzboater said:
Crazy?... I'm 6'-3" and 190+ w/o gear, and like stable high-speed descending.
yes, imho it would be crazy.

im the same height and similar weight and dont find my 'fly to be unstable during high speed descending with the fox. if you need more travel, bump it to 100.

if youre wanting a thru-axle, just stick a suc on it. although having put in a great deal of miles on both, imho the fox f29 completely spanks the suc32.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.