Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
is down to roll...
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I posted, but my kids are finally riding so I took them to the bmx track here in Dublin a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was very overgrown and not maintained. The track is more like single track and was rutted by local kids riding right after last weeks rain. Fast forward to last Friday, I put in a few hours with my new mccleod and cleaned up the berms. I hope to cut back more weeds and smooth it out. Check out my trail build time lapse and test ride!

https://www.trailforks.com/skillpark/dublin-bmx-track--fallon-sports-park/

Does anyone know when it was initially built? I've seen vids that date back to 2011, but believe it's close to ten years old. Anyone else ever been out there?

Thanks!
East Bay Rich / ebR

·
is down to roll...
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now they're beat down and just rollers. There are 2 table top jumps of the start hill straightaway. After the upper roller section, there's a left turn into a table followed by a left berm, roller, and table. It ends in that last right hand berm into 3 baby 1 foot tall rollers. I hope to get out there today after lunch as there was rain yesterday. We'll see how much I can get done w/ a 4 yr old in tow, ha ha...

·
is down to roll...
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, Dublin BMX is pretty basic. Pleasanton bike park is a much better option. Livermore and San Ramon BMX are probably better, too.

I tried to do some more work Monday morning, but had both kiddos and could only manage to clear weeds. Unless we get another rain system come through, I suspect trail days are over until the Fall, unless water is hauled in. I tried widening the 1st jump and making an actual lip, but dirt was too dry and didn't have enough time.

It crossed my mind that another 180 berm at the top section could essentially create an oval pump track. I'll keep that in mind once the weeds all dry up and I can get a better look at it.

I'll hit up folks that reached out to me the next time conditions are good to do maintenance. Thanks for all your support!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in the area and would love to see this place turn into something more than it is. Would love to help out and try to give this place some more life. Try and give it a solid pump track / progression feel.

I’m down to help dig in the afternoons when it’s cooler or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
is down to roll...
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How's this place looking? Not from the area but along with Shells in Foster City, Pleasanton, Joaquin Miller's current work in progress, it would be great to check out another location.
Unfortunately, I tore up my knee (again) in May playing basketball, so I haven't been riding or been out there in a while. I was hoping to check on it after the rain last week, but had to prioritize other things.

This weekend looks nice, so maybe I'll try to get out there. I have a feeling that if you're not local, it's not worth the drive, unless you're planning to hit up the local skateparks and/or Pleasanton Bike Park, too.

Dirt World is probably a better option if you want to ride.

·
Uncle
4,388 Posts
Okay, so it doesn't look like this:
https://www.rfor.org/uploads/3/8/4/6/38465849/dirt-world-layout.png

but it is the same rectangular area, with a short DJ area, a BMX "practice"(?) course, and two pump tracks - big kid/grown up dirt with a sort of a figure 8 configuration, and a little asphalt one for your toddlers. They've packed a lot into that space and it continues to be improved.
I've ridden a total of three pump tracks a total of about 8 times - not a lot of experience due to, well, there not being a lot of pump tracks around yet. The adult track is fairly short/limited compared to some of the monster projects found with a youtube search. But it definitely flows; I was able to keep it going around several laps sans pedaling. Great fun, hella tiring! The little one is pretty fun too - really gotta lean a full size bike to make it around!

Get a few friends and go check it out. Is it the best? If I could drop myself there or at the Truckee Bike Park, I'd choose the latter. But it's damn cool considering the spatial limitations and location.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As far as the Dublin park is concerned I wonder if it would be possible to work with the City / Parks and just develop it into a pump track area?

Or even just similar to what is at Memorial Park in San Ramon off of Bollinger and 680?

I was living in Dublin when Fallon was first being proposed/ developed but moved away during construction. Was it ever full built to what they had planned or did something happen? It seems it never really was built up to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I checked out the Dublin/Fallon park a couple years ago when my daughter had t-ball in the area, and it looked roughly similar to the San Ramon BMX park, except less maintained and overgrown.

For anyone who has ridden the San Ramon park, especially lately - is the design really bad for mountain bikes, or do I just really suck? I have a 26" full suspension, with chunky tires, and I can't get enough speed on the table tops after the first berm.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Okay, so it doesn't look like this:
https://www.rfor.org/uploads/3/8/4/6/38465849/dirt-world-layout.png

but it is the same rectangular area, with a short DJ area, a BMX "practice"(?) course, and two pump tracks - big kid/grown up dirt with a sort of a figure 8 configuration, and a little asphalt one for your toddlers. They've packed a lot into that space and it continues to be improved.
I've ridden a total of three pump tracks a total of about 8 times - not a lot of experience due to, well, there not being a lot of pump tracks around yet. The adult track is fairly short/limited compared to some of the monster projects found with a youtube search. But it definitely flows; I was able to keep it going around several laps sans pedaling. Great fun, hella tiring! The little one is pretty fun too - really gotta lean a full size bike to make it around!

Get a few friends and go check it out. Is it the best? If I could drop myself there or at the Truckee Bike Park, I'd choose the latter. But it's damn cool considering the spatial limitations and location.
Thanks for the info and sounds like it's definitely worth a visit. I'll see if I can take some photos at any parks that I visit.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts