Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

A waste of time it is is
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me, or show me where I can find, what spacers actually come with a SRAM DUB BB, specifically 68-73English BSA? I have seen what is included in the "Spacer Kit" sold separately and had presumed Genuine SRAM BB's would come with the same spacers but the one I have just received only has 3 spacers in it.

TIA

Link to Spacer Kit SRAM Bottom Bracket Spacer Kit DUB MTB/Road V3 I can't even find this spacer kit on the SRAM website.

Link to BB with no mention of spacers that I can see. DUB BSA Bottom Bracket - BB-DUB-BSA-A1 - SRAM

A waste of time it is is
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Aussie, that's the same info that is in the link I posted above. It doesn't actually list all the spacers included but does show you what you need to use for each type of BB set-up. I would have presumed, and yes that is dangerous, that the box would have included all of the options for the size I got. I have the 68-73 English Thread BSA so looking at the tables I would have thought I should have at least got the standard 2.5mm inner spacers and then a 2mm, 4.5mm, 6mm and 9.5mm outer spacers. Noting that the outer spacers are the proprietary SRAM ones that have a "stepped" profile. That would cover all options from 68mm, and 73mm from 73mm to Super boost + chainring.

The set I got in proprietary packaging that had the seal tape broken had the two standard 2.5mm spacers and then only a 2mm, 3mm and 4.5mm SRAM ones sitting loose in the box. Trying to work out if I should be going back to the seller and asking them to send me what I "think" should have been in the box or if what I got is actually all that SRAM supplies. Typically, there is no contact details on the SRAM site, just a contact your distributor BS.

Registered
Ok. I haven't seen a link that advises what comes stock with each bottom bracket. That's quite frustrating for you. Did you email SRAM directly to give that feedback and ask for direction to documentation?

I can understand them only including the 2mm, 3mm and 4.5mm. That covers 68mm road, 68mm/73mm mtb non-boost and boost with and without a chainguide. That covers all the most common. Road wide and SuperBoost excluded, which most retailers list a seperate product for which I presume comes with the correct spacers?

A waste of time it is is
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I haven't seen a link that advises what comes stock with each bottom bracket. That's quite frustrating for you. Did you email SRAM directly to give that feedback and ask for direction to documentation?

I can understand them only including the 2mm, 3mm and 4.5mm. That covers 68mm road, 68mm/73mm mtb non-boost and boost with and without a chainguide. That covers all the most common. Road wide and SuperBoost excluded, which most retailers list a seperate product for which I presume comes with the correct spacers?
Thanks Aussie.

I can't find any contact details at all for SRAM, their contact pages tells you to contact your local distributor, their local distributors are listed as shops here locally, not even a main distributor. Given I ordered it from a local e-tailer via ebay I can't, in good conscience contact my LBS and ask them to check for me, even though I do know them and buy most smalls from them. I hadn't realised the road wide and superboost were listed separately and what you say makes sense, hence the reason I'm trying to find out before I go back to the seller. The frustrating thing is the SRAM website, not listing anywhere what is included, not listing that their 68-73 BSA Dub BB's are sold in different variants and not having any useful contact details.

I think this Bottom Brackets - SRAM backs up what you are saying. The code on my box ends with a "T" not an "A1", again, frustrating that the "T" variant doesn't show up at all on the SRAM site search function.

That said, while looking for that link I did just find the distributors contact details buried away under a couple of tabs. International Distributors - SRAM

Thanks for your help

Registered
I think the only real way to differentiate is with their number based part numbers. The far right column on the first page. You can see that that there are 5 different part numbers for a 68/73 threaded bottom bracket depending on the chainline the crankset is designed for and whether you want to use a chainguide or not. Not saying it's not confusing and frustrating though.

A lot of online sellers include that SRAM Part Number in the description. Quite easy to be caught out though! One of the drawbacks to this online world we live in I guess. In the old days it'd be up to the LBS to figure out which one you needed. Now you have to do it.

Registered
Thanks Aussie, that's the same info that is in the link I posted above. It doesn't actually list all the spacers included but does show you what you need to use for each type of BB set-up. I would have presumed, and yes that is dangerous, that the box would have included all of the options for the size I got. I have the 68-73 English Thread BSA so looking at the tables I would have thought I should have at least got the standard 2.5mm inner spacers and then a 2mm, 4.5mm, 6mm and 9.5mm outer spacers. Noting that the outer spacers are the proprietary SRAM ones that have a "stepped" profile. That would cover all options from 68mm, and 73mm from 73mm to Super boost + chainring.

The set I got in proprietary packaging that had the seal tape broken had the two standard 2.5mm spacers and then only a 2mm, 3mm and 4.5mm SRAM ones sitting loose in the box. Trying to work out if I should be going back to the seller and asking them to send me what I "think" should have been in the box or if what I got is actually all that SRAM supplies. Typically, there is no contact details on the SRAM site, just a contact your distributor BS.
I'd ask wherever you got it from and also send SRAM an email ... I had a few questions and they responded same day, so shouldn't be a problem getting an answer ... Whether they were supposed to come with them or not, the more important thing is you need the ones you don't have, so a call to both would be the route I'd take first.

A waste of time it is is
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good find Aussie, thanks.

I also found the full USA pricelist online, can't link it directly but it is the second item down on this google search SRAm pricelist usa - Google Search It's about as confusing to use as their "help documents", you'll see there are several different sections that list bb's. I finally found the part number that is printed on the SRAM label on the box and it looks like it is as you suggested, axle width / frame specific. Pity they can't make that known more openly.

I'm ok, and can use what I got but I'm pissed about it. I had a BB that came second hand with the frame but didn't come with any outside spacers. I had the choice of just buying the spacer kit for about $15 or the BB with the spacers for $45. I went the latter thinking $30 would give me a spare BB and spacers to suit possible N+1. The reason I'm pissed is that I specifically asked the seller before the sale if it came with "all of the spacers". She said "yes, all the spacers you need". She didn't say something along the lines of "That depends on the frame you are using it with".

Anyway, I know I'm not going to get anywhere with her and I doubt I will hear back from SRAM so I'm going to let this one go for now and make sure I don't use that e-tailer again.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Registered
Seller says "that's the way SRAM supplies them to us, take it up with them." SRAM hasn't responded from email sent 3 days ago.

Pretty poor form all around.
Dude that's unacceptable ... First of all, 3 days in business isn't even remotely close to decent customer service, and the place you purchased them said take it up with SRAM??? That's outrageous. I'd never do business with them again. That's just pure laziness and like you said, poor form all around (to say the least). I'd return it and if they give you problems take it up with your bank (debit) or credit card company. Even if it inconvenienced me, I'd just refuse to do business with them. Every bike retailer has a direct rep at SRAM they can go to. The owner of your shop is just being difficult.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.