Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
small member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
sorry if this has been asked before, tried a search but found way too much threads to check them all...

So I want to run a pair of Deore Dual control levers for V-brakes (obviously NOT the hydro version!) with a pair of Avid BB5. In theory it should be doable, but theory is just that, theory...
Anyone with real world experience with that combo?
Thx!

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
Mechanical Disc Brakes are designed with the same pull ratio as V brakes, so yes, any lever that works with MTB V-brakes will work with MTB mechanical discs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
wedge said:
Hi all,
sorry if this has been asked before, tried a search but found way too much threads to check them all...

So I want to run a pair of Deore Dual control levers for V-brakes (obviously NOT the hydro version!) with a pair of Avid BB5. In theory it should be doable, but theory is just that, theory...
Thx!
hey wedge...how long have you had the dual control levers and how well do you like them...?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
wedge said:
I'm running some Dual Control levers with Avid BB7s. Works great!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
adubb25 said:
how long have you had the dual control levers and how well do you like them...?
The question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway...

I've been using dual control levers for nearly a year now. To be honest, I was quite happy with either Shimano or SRAM trigger shifters and conventional brake levers.

I wanted a more ergonomic handlebar though and decided to try a Jones H-Bar. A real Jones H-Bar is quite expensive (and are apparently out of stock). Titec makes a version of the Jones H-Bar which is considerably less expensive and much easier to obtain.

I experimented with moving my trigger shifters and brake levers over to the H-Bar. It can be made to work, but is less than ideal. You lose at least one useful hand position and the triggers can be difficult to get to.

Shimano Dual Control levers work very well with the H-Bar. I now like them (in conjunction with the H-Bar) better than the other controls (triggers plus conventional brake levers plus conventional bar) that I'd been using for a number of years previously. I've since switched all of the bikes that I ride over to using this setup. The draw for me, however, is the fact that they work well with the H-Bar. If I were still using a conventional MTB handlebar, I'm not sure that I'd have much preference one way or the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.