Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2462 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm watching this close too I think this would be a fun build. BUT it's a hard sell compared to what a spearfish built costs that weighs the same.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Looking for some shock advice

I have a compadre looking at this frame as a winter project/experiment. We're looking at using an rt3. Does anyone have an idea about which tune would be optimal? Is it based on rider weight, or does frame leverage play a role? My prior would be to go with a mid-tune.

TIA

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
It's selected based on the leverage ratio of the frame. You'll have figure out the leverage ratio and then talk to SRAM about which one would work best. Personally, I'd ask Push if they can sort out a correct custom tune off of the drawing (I would imagine "yes"). The cost of a custom RT3 through Push is pretty reasonable. I'm also of the opinion that the shock completely makes or breaks the performance of a faux bar frame.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Put this together because I was bored :) I had to scale some of the pivot dimensions off of the pdf, so this may not be entirely accurate. It appears to have 110mm of travel for a 1.5" shock stroke. I'm not familiar enough with MTB shocks to know which tune would best suit this, but the graph should be enough for someone with knowledge to make a recommendation.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
This may help

This chart has been posted elsewhere

I read the data off the plot and put together the leverage ratio v wheel travel plot.

It seems as if this is a falling rate shock. I'm not sure how to determine the leverage ratio to use for selecting the tune, but a somewhat educated guess is that it would be the y-intercept of the plot. In this case 2.5. If that's correct then we're looking at a rt3 mid-tune.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I'm guessing you'd want to pick a tune based on the average leverage ratio more so than the zero intercept of the line. This frame will have a leverage ratio of 3 at 35% stroke, which is where your suspension will be spending most of its time. I would think it to be firmly in the "C" category based on that line of thinking.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
No problem. Please don't take what I posted as gospel. I know next to nothing about MTB suspension as well. I just happen to have access to tools that allow me to quickly make pretty pictures :)

The going rate on an RT3 is $280 (disregard manitoubikes.com, scammers). A Push tuned RT3 is $350. Honestly, you'd be doing your friend a real disservice if you recommend a stock can over the Push'd one. These types of suspension really need a non-linear damping curve to make pedaling efficient.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Is it just me?

I have been trying to contact a couple of sellers in China about this frame. Both Hong-fu and ican sports (actually trying to buy a road bike frame as well) I am getting no response via email.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Anybody have any updates on these frames? I noticed a crack in my canzo today so I may be in the market for a new frame and this looks like a great option.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My buddy just heard back from Jenny Liu

She quoted him $700 frame and $95 shipping. Plus $15 for the headset. He wants some additional stuff and we're trying to get the final order together now.

·
Registered
653 Posts
We just ordered the 036 from ICAN

Order was placed this morning. The frame was $720. Because we combined an order for two frames and other carbon goodies the shipment may not leave China for three weeks. That will give us time to accumulate the necessary parts.

When the frame arrives I will try to weigh it and post some photos.

That is if my wife doesn't kill me for the road frame I ordered.

·
Registered
653 Posts
No shock

We're ordering a RT3 high tune from Universal with the 15% discount. Shipping and shock put this frame in the $1050 - $1100 range. Squarely with the spearfish and a couple hundred more than a Canzo. It's only a little lighter ( ~100 -150 grams) than a Spearfish, but it has more travel. Other than those two, and bikes direct you probably can't get a fully for that price. It's no VPP or DW link bike, but there are some high zoot bikes out there with a similar suspension design, and if I have learned anything about the Chinese, they can read a geometry chart with the best of them.

This is really an expensive experiment for my buddy. I think the frame is pretty attractive, we'll be building it with a early Reba Race at 100mm, I have no idea how the geometry will work with that fork, and I am pretty sure the fork will be the most flexy part of the build. But if the frame is decent we will probably do some upgrades. Right now he's into this build for some decent coin.

I for one am stoked to see how it will go together. He'll I have a pile of parts in the basement waiting for the right frame.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Put this together because I was bored :) I had to scale some of the pivot dimensions off of the pdf, so this may not be entirely accurate. It appears to have 110mm of travel for a 1.5" shock stroke. I'm not familiar enough with MTB shocks to know which tune would best suit this, but the graph should be enough for someone with knowledge to make a recommendation.
This graph doesn't make any sense. The wheel travel:shock travel is more/less a straight line. The shock rate is curvy. How are you defining shock rate? It's apparently not the derivative of the blue line because that should be really flat

·
Registered
248 Posts
What are the dimensions of the required shock and was the high tune what was suggested or just a guess based on the charts in this thread?

41 - 60 of 2462 Posts