Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2462 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Calculating travel?

Can anyone with a good knowledge of shock specs explain the influence of stroke on travel? It's easy to find a shock which is 165mm eye to eye, but stroke (travel?) differs from 37.5- 50mm. Presumably a longer stroke means longer travel, but it must depend on frame geometry. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jenny finally got back to me. This frame almost strikes me as being rushed. They only have 17.5 avalible right now, and none of my questions that were specific to this frame were answered. She then asks me how many I would be interested in.

hmm...still (one of the few) very happy with my hong fu hard tail frame.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Price for a qty. Of 10 is 650 per plus 120 shipping for each. Thought you all should know that there is a bulk discount. Unless... anyone else get a quote yet? I remember the shipping on my hardtail being cheaper. Anyone get a differentko quote for shipping?

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
Not such a good deal at $800.
A Superfly 100 chainstay is $700... $800 is a joke... and a threat to your life...

·
Registered
53 Posts
They only have 17.5 avalible right now, and none of my questions that were specific to this frame were answered. She then asks me how many I would be interested in.
There is no frame available yet, no geometry and no other specs. At present this is purely an exercise in gauging interest to see if it is worthwhile to design and manufacture.

·
Rigid in Evergreen
1,538 Posts
A Superfly 100 chainstay is $700... $800 is a joke... and a threat to your life...
To be fair, I haven't heard of anyone getting injured when their frame cracks, so calling the Superfly a "threat to your life" might be a bit over the top.

·
A waste of time it is is
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
To be fair, I haven't heard of anyone getting injured when their frame cracks, so calling the Superfly a "threat to your life" might be a bit over the top.
I think the point that Menzo is making is that with Trek charging $700 for a chain stay, $800 is cheap for a complete frame and probably so cheap that the quality will be questionable and possibly life threatening should you have a catastrophic failure of the $800 frame.

·
small member
610 Posts
Can anyone with a good knowledge of shock specs explain the influence of stroke on travel? It's easy to find a shock which is 165mm eye to eye, but stroke (travel?) differs from 37.5- 50mm. Presumably a longer stroke means longer travel, but it must depend on frame geometry. Am I on the right track?
I'm not aware of any 165mm shock with a stroke different from 37.5.Care to enlighten me?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well, the frame is "designed" with a 120mm vork in mind. It seems very "inspired" by the Specialized Epic construction.

But do not forget:
  1. You need a Shock with the correct Compression- and Reboundtune.
  2. The pivotbearings are quite unknown.
  3. There is no through-axle in the rear triangle, which will probably lead to a flexy rear-end.

21 - 40 of 2462 Posts