Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2462 Posts

·
A waste of time it is is
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As reported by Beig in the original Chinese Carbon 29er thread, Hong Fu have a 29er Carbon Duallie posted on their site.

Jenny has been contacted asking for geo details and a few other bits of info.

Thought this was worthy of a thread of its own rather than caught up in the original one.

Hong Fu

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow, that looks a lot like the new Scott spark 29er frame. I mean a lot. If it is under 1K, may be worth a purchase and build up.

·
A waste of time it is is
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hong Fu you, pal!
Wow, that looks a lot like the new Scott spark 29er frame. I mean a lot. If it is under 1K, may be worth a purchase and build up.
sensational. Intelligent, informative first reply and it only took to the second reply to get a "that looks alot like a ...." comment :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Assuming these don't come with a shock, I'm curious how they're going to compare cost wise with the name brand frames. I feel like the markup on a retail shock is considerably more than what it adds to the price of a frame when sold as a set.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well said the rear shock prices retail is just stupid high compared to a frameset. That said with the HT running about $400 if the FS can come in under $700 or so it would be worth it. But if your looking at over $1k with a rear shock their are other options like a spearfish.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Seat stays at the pivot look suspect IMHO, would like to see a bit more material there.

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
did she give you geo charts? I haven't had any response back yet
i was with her on skype few minutes ago, now she's offline

she told me the price

asked some technical informations too ( eye to eye distance, rear skerwer ... )

but no reply to my questions...

i am not sure to stay a lot on my Mac this morning to wait for her ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have thought about getting a Chinese 26er dually in the past but haven't been able to find any reviews. I have a Chinese carbon 26er hardtail and love it, stiff and quick through single track and gets more time than my dually Santa Cruz. But hardtails are relatively simple and how the geometry affects the ride is well known (at least with 26ers). Is a dually 29er from Hongfu et.al. going to compare favorably to name brands as their hardtails do? Hope so, kudos to whoever dives in. Shame only available in 17.5 - too big for me but Looking forward to any further information or pictures/reviews.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
There website lists 15.5" / 17.5" / 19.5" / 21.5", so I'm guessing others are available or soon will be.

My issue is still cost/risk. Like you mentioned, with a hardtail you kind of know what you're getting. I'm pretty tempted to go for a carbon 29er this winter.

On a FS bike I'm with subspd in using the Spearfish as a benchmark:
$1000
5.5 lbs = 2495 grams (I assume this includes shock)
Warranty & crash replacement

VS:
$800 + $??? for shock
1950g + ~200g for shock = 2150
Likely stiffer than a Spearfish
No warranty or crash replacement

That's not compelling enough for me.

1 - 20 of 2462 Posts