Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've never seen the TV show Dual Survival, it's one of those reality survival shows like Man Vs. Wild, Man Woman Wild, Survivor Man ect......

Dual Survival recently had an episode about a mountain biker who's bike becomes inoperable and is stranded 30 miles out in the mountains of Northern California. They strip the bike of what is useful in terms of survival and have a backpack with some tools ect.

Personally I think the front wheel could have been knocked somewhat straight and the supplies in the pack are inaccurate compared to some more seasoned riders but still, its a good, entertaining episode worth a watch.

Dual Survival: Misty Mountain Drop : Video : Discovery Channel

·
Registered
452 Posts
If that were you wouldn't you just walk the trail you were riding back to wherever you came from or onward to wherever you were headed? Who goes out on a solo ride 30 miles into the mountains without being at least a little familiar with the trails?

I know it is 30 miles...but if you aren't injured and you have warm clothes on this situation doesn't really fall under a "survival mode" situation IMO.

·
100.oz minimum
66 Posts
I love this show & that particular episode. I agree too, that the bike could of probably been fixed enough to ride out. I always wonder if i'm ever gonna be so far out n the wild that i may have to put Cody's firestarting techniques to the test. I was also trying to see what kinda bike this was. I did that too in the movie 127 hours. That's a for sure sign that your a bike guy or gal! lol.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that were you wouldn't you just walk the trail you were riding back to wherever you came from or onward to wherever you were headed? Who goes out on a solo ride 30 miles into the mountains without being at least a little familiar with the trails?

I know it is 30 miles...but if you aren't injured and you have warm clothes on this situation doesn't really fall under a "survival mode" situation IMO.
Darwin award recipients do. I believe their stance is from a lost disoriented bikers perspective, not the seasoned rider who knows every single trail. Even if you do pick a trail to hike back, what if you pick the PCT and there isn't a town for 60 miles? If you're walking on a trail, it could still take days to get back to civilization.

I carry the bear grylls knife that has the built in firerod plus a couple of boxes of matches in my riding bag. Plastic lighters break too easily and just leak the fluid all over the stuff in my bag.

Now on to more serious business.....which wheel size is better for survival 29", 650b or 26!?!?!?!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Did Cody get his toes cut off in the chain? I mean WTH with going barefoot everywhere? One show was on a glacier and was only wearing a pair of wool socks. ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts