Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What: Dual Slalom, on snow, mountain bike event down the face of Howelsen Hill ski area complete with thrills and spills. The event includes practice, qualifying and final competition rounds. A great opportunity to race your bike down the slope used to train numerous Steamboat Olympians.

When: Friday, February 9th at 7PM

Where: Howelsen hill ski area (5th street downtown) Steamboat Springs, CO. Registration at 5:30 pm in the fireplace room at the Howelsen hill lodge.

Cost: $7 for Winter Carnival entry, race is free!

What to expect: A really laid back event, around 30 competitors, on a wide variety of bikes (yes, your's will work just fine). Ever ride up a rope tow lift on your bike? heres your chance.

Dont pass up this great excuse to come up to Steamboat for the weekend!

If you have any questions about the event you can ask them in this thread, and I will try to get you an answer from the organizers.

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The race is on Friday night!

There are 2 night time bike races in Colorado this weekend. You better plan your weekend now!
On Friday night in Steamboat there is a dual slalom, lots of fun, and cheap beer.

On Saturday night near Leadville there is a XC race, lots of suffering, and good whiskey.

In between the races you got a day to go skiing, ever been to Steamboat on a Saturday?
Its NOTHING like skiing in Summit county on a weekend. No lift lines, no stress, not as many dip$*its from Denver, fun times.

I'll be keeping this thread alive all week until I get all you guys and gals to rally up to the mountains for some snow bike racing.

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I remember, the course is about 15 gates long, on a 25-35 degree ski slope, and slipped down to man-made snow/ice.

Studded tires are not mandatory but without them you pretty much have to lock up your back wheel and just do a big controlled slide down the first 6 gates or so.

Your bike is not as important as your strategy on course. You got to go slow and wait for the other racer to crash, then you win.

I wish I had some pictures of the event, maybe I'll get some this year.

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet

Then I'll see ya at the race. I will be wearing a YETI DH jersey and riding my black rigid YETI with studded tires.

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The race is tonight!

Anybody else interested? conditions should be bullet proof, so ya better bring your Bullit.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
a word to the wise: home made studs are the only way to go at steamboat. they grab the corderoy like glue. when the inevitable ruts are created by the non- studded tire racers skidding they are the only tires that have any control. nokians, pugsleys, etc dont work on that hill compared to homemade studs either. also i saw people in clips with seats up and non-studded tires just getting thrashed last year in otb crashes.

its a fun time whatever bike/tire combo you ride, but 4x/dh bikes with studs rule.

someone should get echo terrain park to have slalom and 4x snow races. they would be well attended this year with the current local trail conditions.

·
To "Air" Is Human
744 Posts
dream4est said:
...someone should get echo terrain park to have slalom and 4x snow races. they would be well attended this year with the current local trail conditions.
I couldn't make it...stomach flu. As for Echo, I'll have to look into that. I would love to see photos from Steamboat.

Thanks

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pics are in...

The race was fun as always, although it was so warm out that the course was really soft.

28 racers showed up and there was a impressively large crowd spectators at the bottom of the course.

I got a few pictures on my trusty disposable fuji camera, they look pretty ghetto. But here ya go anyway...

Night Bicycle tire Recreation Outdoor recreation Freezing

Hangin' out at the start.

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Ready to race.

Recreation Winter Bicycle wheel Bicycle Outdoor recreation

Ya better get a fast start.... so you can crash quicker.

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Stunt performer Extreme sport

Deemer gets after it on the blue course.

Bicycle wheel Winter Night Outdoor recreation Bicycle

This kid rides out of a huge no-footer off the 2nd ledge.
The highlight of the night was watching 3 of these kids tearing it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.