Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running a tensioner / guide system with a dual ring set up? If so which one and how do you like it? Do most of them mount behind the bottom bracket bearing cups? How thick are the pieces (compared to the spacers the bottom bracket comes with)? Is just the tension from threading the bearing after it enough to keep it in place?

·
Registered
128 Posts
this is going to matter more with what frame you have.

on my SXT frame is has ISCG mounts. so no removing the bb to install. which makes for a better chain line.

the best/lightest/well working ones i've seen and used are the Evil DRS, and the Blackspire Stinger w/bash (cheapest one too)

the guides that mount behind the bb are the correct width as one of those spacers behind the bb. 2mm i think it is.

the bb mount is fine, holds it in place real good. they've been doing that design for almost 10years now. though sometimes it does rotate, if you hit the lower roller hard enough. thats why also the ISCG frame mount is better.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Ive run E13 DRS very simple to install works great, upgrade to a MRP roller though and its even better:thumbsup:

I just installed 3 blackspire stingers on 3 Turners 2 Spots and a RFX again simple installation I had to make some mods as we all use Race Face cranks and the inner chain ring bolts would hit the guide so some counter sinking and milling on the crank bolt heads provide plenty of clearance looks factory and works great took me 10min extra to modify and they run sweet smoother than the E13 almost like no CG is there yet the chain is nicely tensioned and slap free plus no more dropping chains, though thats was rare on the Turners with Race Face.

You may not need to make these mods on other frames or using other cranks, it was worth it to me as Im anti Shimano and really rate RF stuff after 3yrs abuse and still going strong super reliable plus I maintain the Headless Horseman fleet of Turners and Ellsworths so I need stuff thats easy to work on lasts and is reliable.

Good luck

BS
E13
Mrp LRP is another good option just check the guide widths this one is pretty thick
Oh an the Heim guide is hot ticket too only 2 times the price of a BS though:thumbsup:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reide an Intense Uzzi VPZ, so no specific mounts, but also I run Saint cranks. With the hollowtech BB it has the outboard bearings. Even with ISCG mounts, wouldnt it have to go under bearing anyway?

Bottom line is, my only choice is the pinch type that goes under the bearing right?

·
Registered
345 Posts

i run an E13 DRS w/saint cranks....works flawlessly and is fairly quiet

·
mtbcat.
165 Posts
e 13 drs

trailadvent said:
Ive run E13 DRS very simple to install works great, upgrade to a MRP roller though and its even better:thumbsup:

I just installed 3 blackspire stingers on 3 Turners 2 Spots and a RFX again simple installation I had to make some mods as we all use Race Face cranks and the inner chain ring bolts would hit the guide so some counter sinking and milling on the crank bolt heads provide plenty of clearance looks factory and works great took me 10min extra to modify and they run sweet smoother than the E13 almost like no CG is there yet the chain is nicely tensioned and slap free plus no more dropping chains, though thats was rare on the Turners with Race Face.

You may not need to make these mods on other frames or using other cranks, it was worth it to me as Im anti Shimano and really rate RF stuff after 3yrs abuse and still going strong super reliable plus I maintain the Headless Horseman fleet of Turners and Ellsworths so I need stuff thats easy to work on lasts and is reliable.

Good luck

BS
E13
Mrp LRP is another good option just check the guide widths this one is pretty thick
Oh an the Heim guide is hot ticket too only 2 times the price of a BS though:thumbsup:
did you upgrade to the mrp roller because of mud and chainsuck issues with the stock e 13 roller ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.