Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using for a dual purpose street/trail tire? I’m repurposing an old MTB for mixed street and some trail use. Knobby tires just suck on pavement.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Slick tires just suck on dirt. Something from WTB, like their Resolute or Venture, may be appropriate for your needs.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
I've got an inexpensive tire from Performance bike, house brand Forte and I think it's a Tsali or something. I like it as city-path and still decent on trails. In my case, it's on an older bike; 26" rigid and a 2.2 . I wanted bigger and some cush. Rolls smooth and still offers some bite.
I think a similar or comparable one is called "the small block". Tight little nobbies that roll smooth.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,370 Posts
Schwalbe smart sam, one of the only tires that is decent both on and off road that I have found. Not super high volume at 2.25 max but enough.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Surly 26x2.5 Extraterrestrial is a wonderfull all around tyre.
Not the longest life when used mostly on pavement.

My next favorite is the Schwalbe 26x2.0 Almotion.
A bit better if more pavement is the path.

The Schwalbe Big Apple and Big Ben are very good all around tyres too.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I found that if you run your knobbies on pavement long enough they become semi slicks. My inner Scrooge told me that, it's correct. When the back tire is worn to an acceptable level swap with the front. An added benefit is more rolling resistance = more exercise :)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I've been using the Continental race King. It's worn flat on the middle now and is pretty quick.

It hooks up on hardpack nicely too. It's very durable, and has about 4000 miles on it. That's the wire bead sport version which is cheap.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.