Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have recently gotten into MTB as a fitness and health option while dealing with my stage 4 cancer. I started with Marin Bobcat 29er hardtail to hit some local trials, and after upgrading it the best I could, I quickly realized I needed more bike and bought a FS Marin Alpine Trail Carbon enduro and have been riding lots of downhill and more extreme trails for the past several months. I have fallen in love with all of this. It has helped in my cancer fight so much!

Here's the problem though.

In a few weeks, I'm scheduled to have surgery on my liver to have some tumors removed and an internal pump installed to handle some other tumors/cancer that I still have to deal with. This means I have to hang up the big bike and the downhill/offroad riding for quite a while (6-9 months, doctor's orders).

However, I still have the hardtail and I want to get it set up for riding on the road and eventually some light trail/XC riding. Right now I have a Maxxis DHF front and an Ardent rear tire on it. While great on the trails, they are terrible for riding on the street and I don't really want to wear these good tires down on the pavement.

What kind of tires should I go with? I had thought about some gravel tires, but I'm just not sure what would be the best for the street as well as some light trail/XC riding.

I don't want to buy another bike. I want to get this hardtail set up to be able to ride on the road so I can get some miles in and some exercise. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!

· ilmfat
1,313 Posts
Maxxis Ikons and Teravail Ehlines are our go to multi surface tires. The WTB Rangers are fast on the road, but are sketchy on the trail, especially thin gravel over hardpack.

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,679 Posts
I would recommend getting a set of slicks for the road, it sounds like it's going to be a long enough period of time that it's worthwhile to swap tires and gain better performance.

I wish you well in your fight!

· Administrator
12,457 Posts

· Registered
1,128 Posts
Best of luck in your health journey. It sounds like you are approaching it thoughtfully.

I have Vittoria Terreno tires on my gravel bike and think they're an amazingly balanced tire -- they have reasonable shoulder and transition lugs so that I feel comfortable on gravel and truthfully when I'm in the mood mellow single track, yet the center tread is slick enough that they aren't a total pig on roads.

· Registered
2,434 Posts
Good luck with your surgery. That's tough stuff.

People have been putting slicks on MTB's for road use for decades. It will be fine. Don't go too narrow on the tires, it's still a mountain bike rim. 43 mm and up.

I'd go with something pretty mainstream and inexpensive. I don't think you are going to get much fahrfegnugen out of this bike on pavement, it's a tank.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I ride at least every other day, mostly on farm roads and paved frontage roads. I running Maxis Rekon and Minion on my bike. Probably the worst possible set up for both surfaces but the tires are old and worn. I have new ones in the shop waiting for my replaced hip and the lead melting temperatures to resolve. I just can't bring myself to ride the old Trek 830 set up for gravel and pavement after riding the Fezzari!

If your tires are approaching replacement, wear them out good.

· Registered
1,256 Posts
If you want a smooth, road-bike-like center for high wear and low rolling resistance, the WTB Byway in 44 x 700 can do the trick. I have the 40 x 700 version on my mustache-bar'ed gravel bike, and it is fine for smooth trails. Best of luck in your fight.

· Registered
958 Posts
Was just looking for mini-monstercross tires this morning and ran across this deal on eBay.

Also saw a pair of panaracer 50c gravel kings for a few bucks more.

Crush that cancer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Advanced Slacker
15,808 Posts
Previous posts have covered most of my suggestions. Where I dealing with what you are I would treat myself to some Rene Herse knobbies.

I am wishing you the best of luck.

· Rippin da fAt
11,977 Posts
Hey all,

I have recently gotten into MTB as a fitness and health option while dealing with my stage 4 cancer. I started with Marin Bobcat 29er hardtail to hit some local trials, and after upgrading it the best I could, I quickly realized I needed more bike and bought a FS Marin Alpine Trail Carbon enduro and have been riding lots of downhill and more extreme trails for the past several months. I have fallen in love with all of this. It has helped in my cancer fight so much!

Here's the problem though.

In a few weeks, I'm scheduled to have surgery on my liver to have some tumors removed and an internal pump installed to handle some other tumors/cancer that I still have to deal with. This means I have to hang up the big bike and the downhill/offroad riding for quite a while (6-9 months, doctor's orders).

However, I still have the hardtail and I want to get it set up for riding on the road and eventually some light trail/XC riding. Right now I have a Maxxis DHF front and an Ardent rear tire on it. While great on the trails, they are terrible for riding on the street and I don't really want to wear these good tires down on the pavement.

What kind of tires should I go with? I had thought about some gravel tires, but I'm just not sure what would be the best for the street as well as some light trail/XC riding.

I don't want to buy another bike. I want to get this hardtail set up to be able to ride on the road so I can get some miles in and some exercise. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!
Firstly, Godspeed in your fight with cancer. You have the attitude and strength focused in the right direction.

Now for the tire thang...
700C / 29″ - Rene Herse Cycles

Check those out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.