Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What i meant by dual purpose are ones that work well while riding and ones that also look good for everyday use. I'm looking to pick up a pair now that its summer time here in florida and was wondering if you people had any suggestions. Would like to keep it under 150. thanks

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
almost all of em look good--I cheap out since I have to have prescription inserts for mine.

So I go with Bolle Vigilantes and Wiley-X whatever since they were Army issue while in Kirkuk.
Both look ok for everyday wear.

I imagine Oakleys and some of the more designer brands look even better. There's some company in CO--Rudy Project maybe or maybe someone else who makes great looking shades but throw in a prescription and we talk close to 400 dollars---Hell the Canon Elura 65 DV I picked up at AAFES yesterday didn't cost much more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I really liked my native sunglasses you can pick um up for 100 and they have a lifetime warranty. plus they are polorized. it is a shame I stepped on um and broke them. then somebody ended up throwing them away so I couldnt get um replaced. I now have oakleys., but when these break I will be going back to natives

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have natives as well. Loved em until i sat on em during my backpacking trip. boy did that suck. it was like the 3rd or 4th day and i had like 26 more to go. i need to send them in to get replaced.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
I ride with this chick who has the specialized glasses. They change the shade when you are in the woods and then change again when you are in direct sunlight. its like the all purpose riding sunglasses cure. They look pretty good to. polarized. Best idea for sunglasses I have ever heard of.

I think they are somewhere in the $150 price point, or at least i am sure you could find them for that much.

Go get em.!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gman said:
What i meant by dual purpose are ones that work well while riding and ones that also look good for everyday use. I'm looking to pick up a pair now that its summer time here in florida and was wondering if you people had any suggestions. Would like to keep it under 150. thanks
Very difficult to be done. Wraparounds that offer good proctection look like crap as streetwear. Vice versa, non sports glasses typically don't offer good comfort/protection on the bike.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a pair of the new Specialized sunglasses that adjust to the light. I am very pleased with them. I have the mountain bike version which goes from medium to light tint. There is also a road version that goes from medium to dark tint. I really like the tint color and the fit. They stay in place very well. My only complaint is that I wish they got just a little darker (for driving), although I do have sensitive eyes when it comes to bright sunlight. On the trail, they are fantastic and they can be used in the woods at dusk with no problem.

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,640 Posts
Spy's have treated me well....

They have a few models that I've used for riding, the Microscoop and the HS Scoop I think. NIce because they fit my face really well, they don't fog up much at all, they can be had for under $50 all over the net and the sets of interchangeable lenses are pretty easy to find and also fairly cheap. Still kicking myself for stepping on a pair of them last year, looking for replacements now.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
Wiley-X. They have sunglasses that look like sunglasses but are really goggles with a foam seal around your eyes to keep wind and dirt or water out. They have those lenses that automatically adjust to the sunlight or darkness. Its cool if you ride through thick foresty stuff and it gets kinda dark, your lenses will go clear. When you come out of the tree cover it adjusts to enough of a shade to keep your eyes from squinting. They are also impact resistant to military specs. good stuff and within your budget.

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
tedsti said:
My only complaint is that I wish they got just a little darker (for driving), although I do have sensitive eyes when it comes to bright sunlight. On the trail, they are fantastic and they can be used in the woods at dusk with no problem.
The tint is activated by UV light, and auto glass is UV protected. Buy a matching convertible or stick your head out the window! ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.