Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a 29er wheel/tire combo on the Pugsley when not using the 26x3.70's ? I was thinking of using something like the Schwalbe Big Apple 29 x 2.35 tires if it wasn't a major hassle to swap the setups. I am thinking of getting a Pugsley later in the year.

·
Registered
310 Posts
one annoyance comes to mind, you'd have to build a 29er wheelset with a 135mm front hub. i suppose its not such a huge added expense when compared to the already huge cost of setting up a pugs, but it should be considered.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
The other issue would be the offset build. The wheels couldn't be used on a regular bike if they were built to be in the center of the Pug frame. If you used a regular rear wheel, the rim would be on the right side which would make the bike off balance.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
ink1373 said:
one annoyance comes to mind, you'd have to build a 29er wheelset with a 135mm front hub. i suppose its not such a huge added expense when compared to the already huge cost of setting up a pugs, but it should be considered.
Why do you consider the cost of a Pugs "huge?" Other than not being able to use an old wheelset or BB, you can cannibalize your parts bin for everything else. You don't have to run the Endomorph tires/tubes and such.

But the cost of a Pugs frame/fork is far lower than any high end MTB. I paid almost as much for my 5-Spot frame as I did for an entire Pugsley. Beyond the rims and tires being more expensive than most MTB tires and rims, everything else is far cheaper with the Pugs.

For the original poster, 29" wheels will work, but they'll look odd because of the offset rear. And if you get technical, the Endo's make the Pugs a 29er, based on tire diameter. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can you put a fat slick like the Big Apple 559x60 (26x2.35) on the Large Marges? I'm sure the profile of the tire would be quite different but they may work and should give a pretty smooth ride on the road.
Craig

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
CBBaron said:
Can you put a fat slick like the Big Apple 559x60 (26x2.35) on the Large Marges? I'm sure the profile of the tire would be quite different but they may work and should give a pretty smooth ride on the road.
Craig
Andy at Surly said to use a 2.5 inch or bigger tire, but a lot of "2.5 inch" tires don't have a 60 mm casing, so I bet the Big Apple's would work. I'm sure they would make for an interesting profile: might look something like the slicks they put on the back of those Wal Mart choppers. If you ever give it a try, post some pictures.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Why not combine all the above? Get some wide-ass (38mm?) Kris Holm 29"rims, the BA's may hit 60mm+ on those. Cheap hubs. Deore rear, Nashbar SS for the front(for more options)?
I know how much the BA 2.35's rule, I ride them a couple times a week, and I honestly wonder if I could do those same paved rides faster on 23mm road slicks at the same heartrates. And the BA's are just pure 29" madness, very safe in extreme conditions. Rode mine over soaked grass and gravel last night, and I was fine. They rule in the snow. A narrow road tire is left in the dust, only useful on dry smooth tarmac.
But back on topic, you may also just get a $80-90 complete wheelset and some of the spokes could even be re-used for the offset setup.
Do show us a pic of the Pugs with BA's!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.