Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a blog about a guy who had to abort a Pugsley ride across WA because of a huge number of punctures from goatheads. He didn't have any tubes left, and couldn't easily get new fatbike sizes tubes quickly.

He conjectured that one solution for future rides would be to drill a second valve hole 180 degrees from the existing one, and then stuff two MTB tires in ( which should theoretically be easier to come by, anywhere ) as a stopgap measure to at least be able to get on the road again.

Has anyone ever actually tried this? If so, how did it work? I did a search but didn't come up with anything that looked useful.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I believe the double stuff method was one of the OG ways to hold air in the very early days of fatbiking.

Tubeless and/or a solid patch kit seem like way better options to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the double stuff method was one of the OG ways to hold air in the very early days of fatbiking.

Tubeless and/or a solid patch kit seem like way better options to me.
Makes sense. At least in this case though, the author said there were "hundreds" of punctures--which may of course be an exaggeration--so patching would have been a stretch. Tubeless would definitely be the ideal solution under those conditions.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=272206&v=5S

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
My brother lives in Oz and his cure for that problem is tubeless.

He did a 7 day stage race around Alice where there were loads of those thorns and was pulling out about 20 to 30 each night (and he was avoiding them as much as possible).

I saw his wheel after the last stage - there were 27 of them penetrating the tyre. He pulled them out, a little sealant oozed through the pinholes, and job done.

·
All fat, all the time.
9,008 Posts
Exactly, any place that has a significant amount of thorns or goat heads, you better have some type of sealant, or you'll be spending more time fixing flats than riding.

Not sure what the guy was having issues with, as normal mtb tubes work just fine in fat tires. No need to try to jam two in there.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Not sure what the guy was having issues with, as normal mtb tubes work just fine in fat tires. No need to try to jam two in there.
He was having issues with being one of the millions of people out there that don't think to research a little bit on their equipment before setting out on it, and as a result, was one of the large percentage of those people who's failed to achieve their goal because of their lack of research.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
He was having issues with being one of the millions of people out there that don't think to research a little bit on their equipment before setting out on it, and as a result, was one of the large percentage of those people who's failed to achieve their goal because of their lack of research.
+1 ouch, but so true...;)

I'm always amazed at the amount of info online - solutions to problems ready to roll if I can just get as far as typing a few words into Google. :cool:

BTW - thanks to everyone that takes the time to document their adventures and report on what works and what does not....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Umm, maybe I'm an idiot like this guy, but wouldn't BOTH of the tubes get poked by the thorns rendering them BOTH ineffective and useless. I've never had to deal with thorns while mountain biking, but this seems like a good place for one of those slime tubes or something like it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Umm, maybe I'm an idiot like this guy, but wouldn't BOTH of the tubes get poked by the thorns rendering them BOTH ineffective and useless. I've never had to deal with thorns while mountain biking, but this seems like a good place for one of those slime tubes or something like it.
I think the theory is that you can find smaller 26" tubes anywhere, while dedicate fatbike tubes are not going to be available at your LBS or Walmart.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I think the theory is that you can find smaller 26" tubes anywhere, while dedicate fatbike tubes are not going to be available at your LBS or Walmart.
Theory instead of research/google.
It was a 3.8" Larry, not a six inch special out of Florida.

And happened back in 2011.
Hopefully he's discovered tubeless or tube sealant by now.

he wasn't having fun...
... the tire stuffed with the grass, I repacked all the bags on the bike and started pushin'... getting eaten alive by the skeeters... pushing a 100lb bike... approaching the high voltage power lines that bring electricity from the hydro-electric dams west to Seattle. I noticed the buzzing you hear when you stand underneath those high voltage lines. These however, just seemed to get louder and louder. Sensing something was amiss, I removed one of my earphones, and froze with horror at my worst nightmare of a RATTLESNAKE! It was coiled back, furiously rattling and ready to strike, just 3 feet off to my left. So, that's what that buzzing was! ... forgot about the skeeters for 30 seconds...
covered about 5 miles by this point, was getting very dehydrated... brown puddle of water on the road... I could a least soak my t-shirt in it and cool off a bit... hands starting burning, and immediately turned white... some kinda agricultural chemical run-off? ... with white burning hands, I resumed the great push to the river.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts