Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding on/off for a couple years and I'm finally getting serious about it.

I have a Trek 4300 Disc, and I'm thinking about upgrading to XTR Dual Control Levers..

Opionins?..

·
Registered
857 Posts
What's wrong with the EF50's?

Hope you got good cables and XT/XTR deraillures or it seems like such a waste.

I don't know how hard you ride but I can think of a million more things you could upgrade on that bike.

I bought my 4300 in Sep and so far I've already destroyed the stupid single bolt seat post(bought a 4 bolt seatpost), blew the stock shock(sent me upgraded RST with lockout), had to upgrade front deraillure(deore), been through 2 seats(both bent seat rails,), ripped the aluminum threads out of the drive side crank(yes I had the crank puller threaded in all the way), bottom bracket creaks and pops every revolution (I'm upgrading to an UN73 and Avilio cranks as we speak) and had just about every V-brake issue you can have and I still can't get them to fully stop sweaking in the rain.

There's probably more that I'm even forgetting.

I'd save your money and get out and rally that bike and fix weaks links as the come up cause they will.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You might want to upgrade to a 9 speed system first. Spend your money more wisely and fix what doesn't work or needs changing for fit reasons.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Yeah, I dont think you would gain benefit with xtr dualies on your current derrailleur and drive-train. And no offense, but xtr on a 4300 is a bit odd. I think you should do some research around here at more beneficial upgrades.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a Dual Control setup and I like it allot, its all about personal preference. I think an XTR setup would be overkill and the money could be better spent on other upgrades. BUT, I just noticed that Jenson's has a set of XT Dual Control levers for $73 and LX for $59 that should work with your current mechanical discs. If your bike is an 8 speed then you will have to upgrade to a 9 speed drivetrain (cassette and maybe rear derailleur). So, for around $100 it could be done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad I asked first.. Sounds reasonable to only fix what is broken or should be upgraded.

My 18th birthday is Saturday and I do plan on treating myself to a trip to the bike shop. So far my only upgrade has been to SPD's. What should I get next?

·
Registered
857 Posts
bmrwrld7 said:
I'm glad I asked first.. Sounds reasonable to only fix what is broken or should be upgraded.

My 18th birthday is Saturday and I do plan on treating myself to a trip to the bike shop. So far my only upgrade has been to SPD's. What should I get next?
More ride time?

A 4300 should be breaking something by now if your riding it consistanly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
bmrwrld7 said:

What about stuff for the ENGINE like shorts, jerseys, socks, gloves, etc.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
cycling shorts jerseys and gloves are all good purchases. A hydrapak or camlebak if you don't have one. the front fork will make the biggest differnce , but a good one may cost as much as your bike. (I don't know how much your bike cost)good tires are a geat up grade. I have nevals and they made a HUGE improvement in how hard I could turn and they roll better than the stock crap I had. Tires are generaly cheaper on-line.

·
Registered
123 Posts
get low normal too

GTV8 said:
I have a Dual Control setup and I like it allot, its all about personal preference. I think an XTR setup would be overkill and the money could be better spent on other upgrades. BUT, I just noticed that Jenson's has a set of XT Dual Control levers for $73 and LX for $59 that should work with your current mechanical discs. If your bike is an 8 speed then you will have to upgrade to a 9 speed drivetrain (cassette and maybe rear derailleur). So, for around $100 it could be done.
If you do decide to go dual control, make sure to also get a low normal (rapid rise) rear mech. A standard rear mech will be nearly impossible to shift into a higher gear with the lever upsweap motion.

·
Registered
383 Posts
goatboy001 said:
A standard rear mech will be nearly impossible to shift into a higher gear with the lever upsweap motion.
Actually is works just fine- remember with a high normal derailleur the spring is pulling the derailleur down the cassette and all that is needed is to move the lever blade up (I usually shift with just one finger under the lever) until it clicks and release- the derailleur spring will do the rest.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
Wow. XTR duals on a 4300? That's like putting 20" rims on a 89' Datsun pickup.

Spend the money on a decent fork or new tires like stated above. Both would be something you can feel immediately. If you really like the idea of dually's then go LX.

·
Registered
123 Posts
VT no 1 2 or 3 said:
Actually is works just fine- remember with a high normal derailleur the spring is pulling the derailleur down the cassette and all that is needed is to move the lever blade up (I usually shift with just one finger under the lever) until it clicks and release- the derailleur spring will do the rest.
Wow, that is cool to know. I've never tried it but have always been hesitant to use a high normal mech with dual control levers because I thought I would be fighting the spring with the upsweap motion. I prefer low normal, but have spare high normal mechs. Now I can use them if I have to.

Thanks man -

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rkonindustry said:
Wow. XTR duals on a 4300? That's like putting 20" rims on a 89' Datsun pickup.

Spend the money on a decent fork or new tires like stated above. Both would be something you can feel immediately. If you really like the idea of dually's then go LX.
Never really thought about it like that, I'm glad I posted before buying.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
bmrwrld7 said:
Never really thought about it like that, I'm glad I posted before buying.
Me too! PHEW, that was close.

How about looking at your "control" items, like the seat, pedals and grips (and "engine dress-up", as VT so eloquently put it :thumbsup: )? Are what you have now comfortable enough for your riding??? I not than start THERE! ;) Your bike fit and comfort should always always always be first on a "list of upgrades".

Other than that i'm with the 9-speed conversion (cassette and shifters) or fork. Both can potentially reduce weght and increase performance (and 8-speed shifters and cassettes are slowly getting more difficult to find - other than that nothing wrong with them).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.