Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Researched this some on older threads but wanted to make sure.

I recently got an SS. Myself and a good mechanic were unable to get a Stinger-E working on it with dual rings without having to majorly cut down the guide.

I'm now thinking I should go with the E13 DRS as I've read it works the best.

I wanted to check and make sure it works well and see if there are any major modifications that have to be done before I purchase. Also, any info about pros/cons between using a BB mount or ISCG05 version would be great.

Am running the older Saint cranks and have a 135mm rear wheel setup, btw.

Thanks for any help!

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,393 Posts
You can use either DRS or Stinger, but you still need to grind away, and may need to use one or more 1mm or 2.5mm spacers. All depends on the frame, crankset and other components you are using. If you search old threads, you will see how much you need to grind away. This is true for most VPP bikes. You can use either ISCG or BB mount. If you are going to use e13, you might want to call them to figure out which model works best, since they introduced some new models recently. And older DRS won't work with ISCG 05.

PS I was able to get the Stinger to work, but went back to DRS as I liked it better (quieter).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Dewlie on mine. One additional spacer on the driveside of my XT BB cup and filed about .030" off of the granny gear chainring bolts.

Technically the BB is now offset 2mm to the driveside but it is not noticable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just setup my SS a couple weeks ago. I couldn't get the 05 ISCG Stinger to work. I had a spare BB mount Stinger which fit with no grinding. Someone posted that the Stinger tends to drop the chain and the Stinger is a bit noisy. My budget for this year mtb stuff and trip is nearly maxed out so I'll keep the stinger unless it really becomes a nuisance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Epilord, I was curious if you had to cut down your Dewlie at all? And is that guide working well for you? Does it run pretty quiet?

Spoke with e13 today too and they said their new DS might be a good option. Think I might give that a try and if that doesn't work give the DRS or Dewlie a go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the Dewlie because it was a good amount cheaper than the E13 and I had good results with their Stinger on my old bike. It is very quiet and I haven't dropped a chain yet.

You can notch the backing plate to clear the pivot bolt e-clip. Or if you use an older style pivot bolt before they used the e-clip you will have no issues. That is what I did.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks epilord.

So it sounds like if that pivot bolt is flush (mechanic said there's a way to do that), I wouldn't even have to notch the backing plate maybe.

Wanted to make sure: you're running XT with external BB, right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
2008 XT with external cups. Two spacers on driveside cup; filed granny bolts flat; blue loctited an Intense pivot bolt from 2007 6.6 with no e-clip which clears the backing plate. Alternatively, you can grind the backing plate but I had the pivot bolt so I used it. I've been running this for months with zero issues. The Dewlie is sweet! I must also add that Blackspire's customer service is awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts