Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question if anyone can confirm or refute my research....

Purchased a wheelset with 240S hub that have the 15mm thru-axle setup. I want to convert "back" to 9mm thru-bolt (because of the front shock I have).

Universal Cycles is unable to assist me. SpeedGoat is having phone trouble. And I guess TreeFort was closed when I called. Ah well. :)

On the DTSwiss site I see this link: http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Acc.../Conversion-Kit-240s-disc-brake-TB-front.aspx

Would this be the right product? From what I am seeing, the O/D of all these parts shoudl be the same, with the exception of some "oversize" pieces. Universal had a similar number, but the rep was unsure if it was a superceded part number. Their wholesaler/supplier did not have the part number from the DT website.

As a side note ... if anyone has an old set they want to sell, don't be afraid to give me a shout back channel. Either the 9mm thru bolt or the QR version is fine ( I have a lathe and can easily modify the parts ).

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer !

Joe

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Did a bit more research .... looks like i need to change the axle in addition to the axle caps? Seems like I have the oversize body because of the 15mm setup. I was under the impression it was just a quick axle end cap swap. :madman:

*edit*

Found the P/N for the oversize 9mm Thru Bolt setup. I doubt anyone has that part used/handy. :madman:

I need a beer !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured I would follow thru with an answer for anyone that cares or may search this topic in the future.

According to Dave @ DT in Grand Junction, there were 2 oversize setups available. The first one is a "20mm" setup. This particular oversize body is adaptable to 9mm QR, 9mm TB, & 15mm TA. DT also made a specific 15mm oversize that is not cross-adaptable.

Here is Dave's input: "The first generation 15mm hub was built to be minimalist for weight savings and to be able to use a standard size ‘6902’ series bearing. The new “Fifteen” is convertible but now must use a custom (harder to find) bearing. "

In my case ... I was fortunate to purchase the 20mm hub that was already converted to 15mm. So all I need to do is get the correct end cap (in my case, part number HWGXXX0001917S).

Amazing the little details that you search for and still don't find. Hope this helps someone out, someday.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.