Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a new wheelset built for my Karate Monkey, but I'm more or less an idiot when it comes to wheels. The LBS I'm working with recommended the DT350 hubs, but said the XT hubs would be cheaper and still perfectly workable.

Aside from the price, what kind of differences could I expect to see between the different hubs? I currently have Surly Ultra New Hubs and honestly don't have any real complaints, so not sure how much I really need.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? I guess I'm looking for bang for the buck, not just the cheapest option. Thanks.

-Brian

·
Plan #123-D
552 Posts
I'm a huge fan of DT Swiss 350 hubs - I run them on three of my bikes...I like to think of them as a poor man's CK.

They are durable, dead simple to regrease when needed, very light for the price point, hold their value well, and are convertible to any standard.

AND

They are upgrade-able...meaning, you can upgrade the internals from 18 deg to 36 for about $75.

You don't need the star ratchet upgrade by any means, but it's a nice option for further down the road.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
No experience with 350's, but my 240's are awesome. My XT's from '97 is still going strong as well. That said, why the switch from the Surly hub? I've got one of those, too, with a WI freewheel, and it works great.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, after doing some more searching I'm leaning towards to DT350s, seem to get better reviews in general.

I thought about using the Surly hubs, but I think I'm going to keep the current wheels as a secondary set and throw something more pavement friendly on there. Not that I don't have other options for the road, but since I'm upgrading anyway that's the way I'm leaning.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Shimano bearings are easier to service but if you let them go too long you can wreck the hub shell. DT freehub mechanism is easier to service (and is the most simple/elegant design out there IMO) but I think you need special tools to replace the cartridge bearings.

No experience with the 350's but the seals on my 240s are impeccable and don't plan on needing to replace bearings for at least a few more years. Convertibility is another pretty big plus over shimano, as is the ability to upgrade the engagement (I have a set of 54t star ratchets in my 240 hub that bontrager sold last year - hopefully they make a lot more this year cause they sold fast).

Both hubs are gonna roll fast, DT's will be lighter.

Hard to go wrong with either but I like the DT's. If you can find the singlespeed bolt-on model cheap on ebay it might be the perfect hub for a KM, but I'm kinda biased.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DT 350 vs. XT isn't a fair fight, you can buy four XT's for the price of one 350.
My LBS gave me the option because XT hubs put me on the low side of my budget and the DT 350s put me on the high side of my budget. I asked here because honestly I know next to nothing about hubs. I like good bang for the buck but reliability/simplicity is why I got a SS Karate Monkey in the first place.

Plus, this is my 30th birthday present to myself, no sense in cheaping out on myself ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts