Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently riding an older Mojo SL "26" with DT240s hubs built by Dave Thomas. I've searched and found endcaps that will convert the QR to 12x142mm rear axle. Will the same endcaps work for 12x148mm? I'm just wondering if I can salvage the hubs for 29er build. I'm leaning towards building a longer travel 29er such as Hightower LT, SB150, Ripmo or Rallon. Thanks.

·
Banned
976 Posts
I'm currently riding an older Mojo SL "26" with DT240s hubs built by Dave Thomas. I've searched and found endcaps that will convert the QR to 12x142mm rear axle. Will the same endcaps work for 12x148mm? I'm just wondering if I can salvage the hubs for 29er build. I'm leaning towards building a longer travel 29er such as Hightower LT, SB150, Ripmo or Rallon. Thanks.
In my opinion, I don't think this endeavor is gonna be worth the time or money. The market for 26" bikes is not very good anymore, but the market for 26" frames has to be even crappier. I'd want to sell that mojo sl as a complete bike, or at least as a rolling chassis (frame, headset, fork, wheels). If i were you, I'd find some new boost hubs and build them up for this new bike. I've been getting great deals on dt 240/350 hubs the last couple years on ebay.

With that said, here's a little info for you...

Front hub... you did not mention what your front axle setup is, but some of the QR 240 front hubs are not convertible to 15mm axles. You'd end up needing a new front hub anyway. If it's 15x100, I'd use the boostinator kit as crvt427 mentioned.

Rear wheel... some older 240 qr rear wheels require replacing the axle and end caps to convert to 142x12, which means you'll need dt 240s 142x12 axle and dt 142x12 drive-side endcap, and boostinator kit which will provide the non-drive side end cap. If you have a newer 240s QR hub (not likely), then you'd only need the end cap and boostinator kit, as it'll already have the right axle.

But really, just sell those wheels with the frame and build yourself a new set of wheels with boost hubs.

·
Registered
706 Posts
So you want to convert your 135/142 rear hubs to boost using the stock DT swiss QR(135) to thru axle (142) endcaps then the answer is no. You will need something like a wolf tooth boostinator. But here is the fun part, a number of companies are putting QR on boosted hubs (148) making it a 141. ie Trek Roscoe. I have yet to see a 350/240 wheelset offered as OEM but you could put QR endcaps on one and make it fit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My front axle is a 20mm so it was only the rear that was problematic. I've maintained and upgraded the Mojo along the way so my plan is to use as many parts possible. Thanks for the response everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.