Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a disc wheelset based on XT hubs and either DT XR4.1D or Mavic 717 disc rims. DT's w/ center-lock XT hubs are available through an ebay retailer for $200-$225. The Mavics w/ the 6-bolt XT hubs for $180 or w/ center-lock XT hubs for $200 (pricepoint). The reviews on both rims are pretty good. I am not as familiar with the DT's but the reviews indicate that they are a bit more sturdy than the 717's.

Any comments or suggestions on the above wheelsets? Also, any comments on the center-lock vs 6-bolt hubs appreciated (i.e., I have read that you save 400g with the center lock hubs but I already have a set of avid mech. disc brakes & rotors, so I would have to purchase new rotors, too).

Thx

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
journey said:
I am looking at purchasing a disc wheelset based on XT hubs and either DT XR4.1D or Mavic 717 disc rims. DT's w/ center-lock XT hubs are available through an ebay retailer for $200-$225. The Mavics w/ the 6-bolt XT hubs for $180 or w/ center-lock XT hubs for $200 (pricepoint). The reviews on both rims are pretty good. I am not as familiar with the DT's but the reviews indicate that they are a bit more sturdy than the 717's.

Any comments or suggestions on the above wheelsets? Also, any comments on the center-lock vs 6-bolt hubs appreciated (i.e., I have read that you save 400g with the center lock hubs but I already have a set of avid mech. disc brakes & rotors, so I would have to purchase new rotors, too).

Thx
I would take DT's over 717's. The mavics are flexy as hell and the DTs build better. I think DT's qc is much better.
As far as rotors go I would stay with 6 bolt iso's so you can have more options. Its a real shame Shimano doest play well with others, but maybe that is their plan, so you will be stuck with their goods only.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
thebronze said:
I would take DT's over 717's. The mavics are flexy as hell and the DTs build better. I think DT's qc is much better.
As far as rotors go I would stay with 6 bolt iso's so you can have more options. Its a real shame Shimano doest play well with others, but maybe that is their plan, so you will be stuck with their goods only.
Second this. And I very much doubt the diffeence betwen centerlock and 6bolt is 400grams. I'd say it's more likely 150grams or so.

Your question about rims was discussed awhile ago..

I'll try find the link..

Edit: Found it!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=56797&highlight=Mavic+DT

·
Registered
970 Posts
Get centre-lock hubs and buy the DT Swiss adaptor. The centre-lock interface is easier to use and when you factor in the lighter hub weight and the fact you don't need rotor bolts you make up for the weight of the adaptors.

Oh, and DT rims are beautiful.

Cya, John.

·
the wrench
469 Posts
i am currently building up a new bike and went throught the same decision of which rim to get. i then decided on the dt. because i work at a shop i have trued and built many different brands and models of rims. the dt's are the first that i have ever worked with that have a consistant roundness durring the building process. even at the welded joint it stays perfectly round; all other wheels are either slightly high or low at the joint that is permenant.

go for the dt's just a better rim its worth the 25g sacrafice.

BTW i built the xr4.1d's up on xt centerlock hubs with 262mm dt supercomp spokes all around and brass nips. the total wheel weight is 1660g which is 40g lighter than crossmax sl's. the xt hubs are approximately 200g lighter per pair than the 6 bolt xt's

·
crash test dummy
545 Posts
Just a counterpoint

I had DT Swiss XR4.1d rims laced to Hope XC hubs for my new Blur. 12th ride out or so I banged the rear rim hopping a high curb uphill (not smart), pinch-flatted the hell out of my tube, and later when I inspected the damage at home found I had bent the lip of the rim severely inwards.

I took it to my local favorite shop mechanic who then highly recommended Mavic 717s highly OVER the XR4.1d. Hmmm.....everyone has their biases I suppose.

I've always had great luck with WELL BUILT wheels using Mavic rims. I've had rotten experiences with poorly made wheels using Mavic rims.

Well now I'll be running a Mavic 717 rear rim and an XR4.1d front rim. Let's see how that goes. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I just had bad luck with my own rim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.