Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, simple question that i cant seem to work out from other threads and searches.

New wheels, setup is tubeless, but cant decide between:

-Mavic XM 819 with Kenda Kinetics UST with latex for extra protection (ive heard that before)
-DT swiss rims with DT tubeless kit and Kenda Kinetics UST tires

Both will have latex sealant, both will have UST tires, however the DT's will be lighter (425gm plus rim strip vs 500gm), but will there be any durability issues with the system?

ive heard the DT tubeless setup goes pretty well, and the strip is setup specifially for the rims so there should be less chance of a stuffup than with stans (already done stans on dt rims, and wasnt the best combo, especially with conti verts).

These wheels will be going on a hardtail that will hopefully be a long lasting xc and all mountain machine for racing and epics.

Essentially the difference is an inbuilt UST strip with the mavics and a rubber strip for the DT's - Big difference?

Please help me with my decision,
cheers and happy trails,
willy

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmmmm, still thinking......

but quickly,
If i purchase the Mavic XM 819s, do they come with the brass inserts for the the nipples to go in?
Or do i have to purchase those myself?
Ans ive been told to get at least 16mm long nipples?

a little help for a dimwit,
willy

·
Registered
970 Posts
I had the same dilemar, choosing between the same things for the same reasons. It was solved by me getting a ripping deal on some Crossmax Sl's so I can't answer any questions from your first post.

I can however say that yes it comes with the inserts for the nipples and yes you need 16mm nipples.

Cya, John.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Little Willy said:
Both will have latex sealant, both will have UST tires, however the DT's will be lighter (425gm plus rim strip vs 500gm), but will there be any durability issues with the system?

willy
The 819 rims weight somewhere between 525 and 550 grams (with the insertst). Mavic omits them from the posted weight even though they're absolutely necessary. They're great wheels, btw.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
bike_freak said:
I also was in the same postion awhile ago..

In the end, i went with DT rims becuase of the weight difference.

BUT, i am still running tubes. I have yet to buy the tubeless kit:)
same here.....went with the DT Swiss but sold the whole bike before I had a chance to try the tubeless conversion kit.

however, i just ordered another DT Swiss wheelset and this time I am going to use the DT kit......went with DT over the 819s cause I saw no need to add any additional grams. If I was interested in a more robust rim, I would not have chosen the 819s anyway....but this is for a hardtail so I do not need a beefier wheelset.

cheers

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have 2 sets of 819's, one with XT hubs on my SS hardtail and one with CK's on my RX100. I have had no problems with leaks and I've run Pana Fire Pros, Conti's, Kenda Nevegals. I'm sure the DT is a good system as well, I just made a decision and went with it. I weight 220 and ride NC tech singletrack.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys,

So the basic differences are: weight (40-50gms per wheel), tubeless bead lock (mavic built in, DT rim strip), and width (mavic 23mm, DT 21.8mm

Now ive heard different things about rim width affecting the choice of tyres, but i will be putting on 2.2 inch kenda kinetics UST tyres,
the DT rims are skinny, but will i have problems with tyre rollover and 'burping' with these larger bag tyres as oppose to the 23mm mavics?

cheers,
please keep the comments rolling (no pun intended) through!
willy

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Little Willy said:
Thanks for the help guys,

So the basic differences are: weight (40-50gms per wheel), tubeless bead lock (mavic built in, DT rim strip), and width (mavic 23mm, DT 21.8mm

Now ive heard different things about rim width affecting the choice of tyres, but i will be putting on 2.2 inch kenda kinetics UST tyres,
the DT rims are skinny, but will i have problems with tyre rollover and 'burping' with these larger bag tyres as oppose to the 23mm mavics?

cheers,
please keep the comments rolling (no pun intended) through!
willy
2.2 tires should be no problem at all on either rim, even larger than normal 2.2s. The weight difference is not really what I would consider huge, I just like DT Swiss stuff so unless you are really concerned about a few grams, just go with the 819s. either will be a great choice.

cheers

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my last bike i had a set of DT rims, onyx hubs and supercomp spokes, they were really good, strong as anything, though when with stans the rimstrip didnt really fit very well, and the conti vertical i had on there was a bit squirmy at low low pressures.
However i believe with UST tyres and stronger sidewalls, most of this would be gone.

Is it fair to say that perhaps the DT's have a better build quality?

Im planning on running these wheels for a couple of years, so will i have any issues with running the DT tubeless kit for that long?

cheers,
wil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.