Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried putting a Specialized Adrenaline Pro 2.1 tire on my DT 4.1d rim and the rim seems smaller than the tire (ie. the rim can fit into the tire without the bead locking into the rim). Are 2.1 tires too big for this rim? Do I have to go with a 2.0 size? Or do I have the wrong size of rim? The width of the rim looks really narrow, too. I'm perplexed!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
No.

Are you saying the tire easily mounts onto the rim "without the bead locking into the rim" before it is inflated? A standard tire and rim do not "lock" together until the tire is filled with air.

Some tire rim combos are very easy to mount/dismount. I consider an ultra tight fit a disadvantage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
No.

Are you saying the tire easily mounts onto the rim "without the bead locking into the rim" before it is inflated? A standard tire and rim do not "lock" together until the tire is filled with air.

Some tire rim combos are very easy to mount/dismount. I consider an ultra tight fit a disadvantage.
You know how you have to kinda' work a tire on rim before you put the tube in? Well it seems like the tire's diameter is too big. It isn't tight at all. This is the best I can explain it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
What rims (and tires) are you use to using?

On rims with a deep center drop, like the DT, the tires will be easy to mount and "loose" before inflation.

Most of my tire/rim combos are not "tight at all."

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy said:
What rims are you use to using?

On rims with a deep center drop, like the DT, the tires will be easy to mount and "loose" before inflation.

Most of my tire/rim combos are not "tight at all."
Hmmm...I'll try again. I'm usually use to having a little resistance when putting a tire on a rim, but it seems like the tire's circumference is bigger than the diameter of the rim. It's too "loose". No resistance whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BeatVibe1 said:
Hmmm...I'll try again. I'm usually use to having a little resistance when putting a tire on a rim, but it seems like the tire's circumference is bigger than the diameter of the rim. It's too "loose". No resistance whatsoever.
I just went to the shop and mounted an Adrenaline Pro 2.0 on a 22mm rim with a deep center drop (one of the easiest to mount rims I have). Went on with no effort. Aired up with no issues. I did watch that the beads were seated while inflating.

The center drop in rims is there to make it possible to even mount the tires. The deeper the drop, the easier they mount.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shiggy said:
I just went to the shop and mounted an Adrenaline Pro 2.0 on a 22mm rim with a deep center drop (one of the easiest to mount rims I have). Went on with no effort. Aired up with no issues. I did watch that the beads were seated while inflating.

The center drop in rims is there to make it possible to even mount the tires. The deeper the drop, the easier they mount.
I'm thinking it might be the tire itself. I'll try to mount it with a partially inflated tube. If that doesn't work, I'll try the other Adrenaline Pro tire I have and see if there's any difference.

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
428 Posts
Not the rim...

BeatVibe1 said:
I tried putting a Specialized Adrenaline Pro 2.1 tire on my DT 4.1d rim and the rim seems smaller than the tire (ie. the rim can fit into the tire without the bead locking into the rim). Are 2.1 tires too big for this rim? Do I have to go with a 2.0 size? Or do I have the wrong size of rim? The width of the rim looks really narrow, too. I'm perplexed!
Its not an issue with the rim. I've mounted kedna blue groove 2.3's all the way down to 1.5 slicks on my DT 4.1d rims without ever having an issue.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BeatVibe1 said:
I'm thinking it might be the tire itself. I'll try to mount it with a partially inflated tube. If that doesn't work, I'll try the other Adrenaline Pro tire I have and see if there's any difference.
Please answer this question so I have a reference point for what you are use to in tire/rim fit:

What rim and tire combos do you normally use?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I think it's just the tire, my previous adrenalines were the easiest tires I ever had to mount, they do seam really loose until they get air in them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank You All!

Folks, thanks for your responses (Thanks Shig!). I put the tires on successfully last night. I guess I just had to be more patient; I don't have much experience with tires. Thanks again for all your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.